Question Unanswered: Database general optimizations

First of all let me give a warm hello to all of you guys.

Coming to my subject, it is relevant to Oracle databases management in general for very large companies (e.g. TLC operators).

They usually face the following kind of problems:

- licences number proliferation, usually it gets out of control
    - several different Oracle databases that ask for consolidation
    - opportunity of "storage tiering", meaning moving less valuable database data on less expensive storage means
    - data classification, meaning how can I assess (automatically? manually?) which data are valuable and which are less ?
    - other opportunities you only might be aware of

Do you guys have experience in facing that kind of problems? Any suggestion regarding hw/sw solutions for that purpose?

Thanks in advance.
    Marco

Licences.. they get out of control *sometimes*. Currently where I work at, my mgr is responsable of this.

Consolidation is a day to day task (not only for databases though).

I would not call it "less valuable" but rather "less accesed". Meaning that less expensive storage could mean slower disks.

The bussiness requirements should tell you which data is more valuable than other.

In an ideal world you're right, but in practice you're not.
    We're facing an years-old situation of non-consolidation. We have to tackle it somehow, so theory is of little help here.

Think at tons of Terabytes of data and you'll understand that the issue is not to gather business requirements (we do have them already!) but to find an automatic and smart solution to classify informations and store them accordingly.

Unfortunately the "less accessed" criterion is usually not enough, due to law enforcements.

Marco

I think I targeted my answered more from a theorical perspective than practical, meaning you were probably asking more especific question based on products than situations.

I am currently using Oracle's Grid Control for consolidation at the place I work at. It let me manage many databases from a central repository from a graphical, web-based GUI.

To classify information, the data guys over here have used a broader range of products from Informatica, you might be interested in that.

How come moving data from one disk to another would involve "law enforcements" ?

It's not just about "moving" data, but also about keeping them readily available, not changeable, not accessible by anyone (think for example at traffic data of a Telco operator).

Thanks for the info, I'll take a look....

Ciao,
    M