Thread: Oracle & .NET

Unanswered: Oracle & .NET

Sorry about any duplicate postings, but I didn't hear from anyone in the .NET forum:

A vendor that we're looking into converting some of our applications into .NET mentioned that .NET is stateless. So, that scrubs Oracle's transaction model that we're accustomed to.

So, I guess I'm asking anyone who's worked with a .NET app with an Oracle back-end: Is .NET actually stateless?

-Chuck

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "stateless" ?

Regards,

rbaraer
    ORA-000TK : No bind variable detected... Shared Pool Alert code 5 - Nuclear query ready .

I believe is just the inavailability to save a persistent state of a session. For example, in old client-server applications you maintain a persistent state of a session until they disconnect. This doesn't happen in most web applications, since each request gets a new connection everytime they want to interact to the db (in general). You could achieve some level of state persistence (?) using, for example, in .net sessions or hidden fields, but the drawback of the latter is the amount of information that is passed from page to page and in the first one the server's ability to manage the memory request it requires.

I believe this does not only apply to .NET alone, but to other web technologies as well.

That is definitely what I meant by stateless. I guess I should've further mentioned that our current development environment is Oracle Forms, where each Forms session is tied to a distinct db session.

Since we deliver Forms as a web application, are there other web-deliverable apps which are not stateless? What about JDeveloper?

-Chuck

OK, that is what I thought but I wanted to be sure because .NET does not mean stateless in all cases. For example, you can develop C# client applications that are connected directly to Oracle. Now if we're talking about web apps, as JMartinez stated, this is not a .NET related issue : web apps in general are stateless, so you will have to either use one of the 2 solutions proposed by JMartinez or keep session data within the database (as it is done by Oracle Application Express, for example).

HTH & Regards,

rbaraer
    ORA-000TK : No bind variable detected... Shared Pool Alert code 5 - Nuclear query ready .