Unanswered: Need Help Finding Online Live Database

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know where I can hook up with either a company (online or offline) that has a live database with the stats on American Football players? I have a client that wants to create a Fantasy Football website and I would need that info to tie into the site.

If anyone can simply drop a url to a company, that would be great. Thanks.

basically you would have to scrape the content from someone's site (in other words benefit from the work someone else has done). If you wish to do this legally you would be paying a signifcant amount of change to the NFL who hold the rights to the players names when associated with the statistics.

The company I work for owns a fantasy stat service, we recently wanted to hold a baseball pool as we had done in previous years going on about 20 years. The cost to do so had increased substantially over previous years as the NHL, NFL and other bodies have basically moved to weed out the smaller competitors, making it non-profitable to hold such pools.

Thanks guelphdad,

You seem to have significant experience in this area. I appreciate the info.

So basically, you're saying that I would have to pay someone (who is already paying an adsorbent amount of money for the rights to the NFL) an adsorbent amount of money to link to their database.

Well, at least I have an idea of how this works. I completely forgot about the legal issues involved in using the names/stats, etc. of these players.

Do you suggest any websites to scrape from or should I just contact fantasy football sites directly and pitch something to them?

Thanks.

i think what guelphdad is saying is that the data belongs to the NFL and if you get from anywhere else, you would still have to pay the NFL for the rights to use the data

also, the word you're thinking of is exorbitant (excessive), not adsorbent (tending to suck onto)
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Thanks for the clarification on the NLF rights. I'll get back to my client about it.

And the semantics lesson (although as I find out more about the formalities, it does begin to suck).

Cheers!

the hard part on these boards too is knowing whether or not English is the first language of the poster. Of course I mangle English pretty well on my own.

If you are running your own site with professional sports stats on it then you can basically be asked to shut it down. if you were running a service and making a profit with info you have scraped from another site, I think it is within the rights of said league to sue you.

I'm only saying be careful. Unfortunately a lot has changed for the negative in the last while.

Sent you a personal message.