Need Help with Assignment

Hello everyone,

I am new to the board. Thus I would like to start off by saying hello to everyone!!!

My assignment question is this:

A Library has one location but two separate departments. Each department has its own set of book titles. The department is as follows : Yound Adult Library and Children's Library, both located in the same building but different floors.

You are required to store information on the classification of each book for example, romance, thriller, ect. For each book, there must be a classification as well as a department assignment.

Besides the normal employee information, you are also required to keep track of the department the employee is assigned to. Please be advised that an employee can work in only one department at a time but this assignment can be changed if necessary.

I have to draw an Entity Relationship Diagram.

I have already identified some of my entities:

Employee, Department, Book

What I need to know is how to get my diagram to cater for each department having its own books and how to keep track of each employee in a department.

Could someone help me out please.

Thanks

are there only two floors or can a dept be on more than one floor? Just curious

That looks like a great start. Take a whack at the design image so people can look at it.
    Last edited by starkmann; 02-26-07 at 09:39.

Thanks for your help so far.

I have attached a basic drawing of what I think the model should look like. I have not started adding attributes yet.

All I would like to find out is since each department has its own books, if this will affect the entity relationship diagram as I have it?

Starkmann, based on the question, I am making the assumption that each department is on one floor.
    Attached Files Attached Files

looks good so far.
    To answer your question directly, there is a one to many relationship from department to books. I'm basing that on this statement from your original post.

Each department has its own set of book titles.
    The department to employees should also be one to many. I can't tell from your diagram if that is your intent but I'm guessing it is.

You're on the right path.