Unanswered: Questions re: Oracle 8i Standby Server

Okay, first off, my apologies. I have done some searching, but not a great deal. I'm looking for some quick answers in order to determine if additional research is warranted or if this project is stillborn.

We are looking into setting up Standby Server for an Oracle 8.1.7.x database. The primary database is owned by another agency and its configuration is not in our control (ie, I would have upgraded it long ago, but it's not in my hands).

I have looked at Standby Server for 8i and I have actually gone through the steps to configure a primary and a standby and worked through a few scenarios. It's fairly straightforward, but the experience has led me to some questions.

My questions are:
    1. Can an 8i primary database use a 9i Standby Server (or 10g)?

2. In 8i, I have to shut the database down briefly in order to go from read-only back to Standby; this seems like a tremendous limitation (I need to be able to query the Standby in read only mode). Does 9i Standby get me around this limitation?

3. Do the physical file locations have to match on the primary and the secondary (I'm assuming that they do since the control file is generated from the primary)?

Does anyone have additional thoughts or considerations?

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Physical Standby?

Why would you want one version of Oracle to be the standby of a DIFFERENT version?
    When you're talking Physical Standby it is not possible, since the standby database is an exact copy of the primary one.
    For Logical Standby I'm not sure, but I wouldn't even try it.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwinW
    Why would you want one version of Oracle to be the standby of a DIFFERENT version?
    Because 8i is not our standard db platform; we are standardized on 9i (and migrating to 10g). Also, I was hoping to get around the limitation of having to stop and restart the database to go in and out of read only/query mode.

When you're talking Physical Standby it is not possible, since the standby database is an exact copy of the primary one.
    For Logical Standby I'm not sure, but I wouldn't even try it.
    Thanks. I think we're going to have to look in another direction at this point. The 8i version of Standby Server does not meet our immediate requirements.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?