Red face Unanswered: SQLSvr2000 SP4 Install on 2k3 box

I am running a windows 2K3 standard with SQLServer2000 SP3. I am trying to upgrade to SP4, but I get

A service control operation failed for the MSSQLSERVER
    service: 1460.
    Followed by :
    This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

The databases seem to be fine, but the Agent service doesn't function any longer as I get errors saying the Agent Service is starting when trying to run jobs.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Provided Answers: 6
    it sounds like you might have an issue with the security credentials that the sql server agent is trying to use.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

I have tried using the Windows Authentication (I log in as either local admin or domain admin) and then I tried the SA login and I verified the password.

Let's fix this

I had 3 bizarre problems on this OLD SQL 2000 server:

- I couldn’t install SQL2000 SP4, nor any hotfixes (cumulative 2187 & 2249) completely – Kept on getting timeout error 1460 during those installs, and/or only the “tools” would update but not the DBs themselves (Master, etc…).

- I also couldn’t create maintenance plans (backups) for the SQL server – kept on getting SQL ServerAgent error 14258.

- Finally, my Online Backup software would always fail to backup the SQL server using its default SQL settings.

Then I discovered that the server was in “fiber / lightweight pooling mode” rather than in the default “thread mode”:

How to determine proper SQL Server configuration settings
    Is there any benefit for me in turning on the "lightweight pooling" SQL Server configuration option?
    The Perils of Fiber Mode

After I placed the server back into its default “thread mode”:

sp_configure 'allow updates', 1
    go
    reconfigure with override
    go
    sp_configure 'lightweight pooling', 0
    go
    reconfigure with override
    go

…all my problems went away. I know it’s a very old issue, but perhaps there are still people out there that could benefit from this tidbit of experience.

Regards,

Philippe Blanchard, MCSE
    President, PBC Consulting
    philippe@pbcconsulting.com

please stop the sql server agent services........

retry...

if not then go to the configuration setting and customize the settings.

I don't think that i have problem in databases but I find difficult in running it. Any suggestions please....
    Thanks.

Provided Answers: 54
    Odds are very good that the Windows Account being used to run the SQL Agent Service is disabled or the password has changed. If you can't start the SQL Agent Service, you can't apply the service pack. Picking a security context for SQL Agent can be a little complex, but I'm pretty sure that is what you need to do before you can make any progress.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.