Thread: query from code

Unanswered: query from code

hello
    i have a form that is not bound to any table, i want to use vbscript to query the db and fill some textboxes with the values returned, i want to do this in the most 'native' way possible, i've seen examples using DAO and ADO, but i'm not sure if they are the best option, i just want to query the db using the most simple way

thanks for your advise

if you only have a few text boxes, and the table/tables you need some answers from (the query) then simple "Domain Functions" (DLookup, DMax, DMin, etc.) would be quite easy. But, if you have a lot of records, I would suggest an actual query, then either bind the fields in the query to the text boxes on the form, or you will have to end up using the "Domain Functions" against the query.

This answer is just a stab in the dark. You really have not provided enough information to really address your issue.
    HTH,

hello GolferGuy, thanks for your reply, what i want to do is quite simple, i just want to query the db in response of a user event, then fill some textboxes with the values returned, my problem is that i don't know how to do this from code, i know how to create queries using the designer but i don't know how to get a recorset out of that queries, this can be resumed like this:

Code:
    Private Sub mods_lista_Click() 'click event of a listbox

'supposed code to execute query
    set rs=query("select field1,field2 from table where id=1")

'then just fill the textboxes
    textbox1.text=rs!field1
    textbox2.text=rs!field2

End Sub
    you see, nothing too hard, just need a straightforwar way to query the db, the most 'native' way possible

thanks for your advise

OK, you want it as simple as possible, and as 'native' as possible. The query that you have written, make it the Record Source of the form, then bind the text boxes to the fields in the query that you want to display in each text box, and poof, you are finished! It really doesn't get any easier than that. If you want to make sure that your users can not update the data, then you can set the Data Properties for the form so the AllowEdit, etc. are set to False.
    HTH,

well yes i was thinking about that but i want to do it from code, because the form has other controls that aren't so related to that textboxes and maybe i'll need to update their values from code too

thanks for your advise

Then use this syntax:
    me.Textbox1 = dlookup("fieldname", "QueryName", "Put the WHERE clause here")
    The WHERE clause does not include the word "WHERE". For more info, see DLookup in Access help.

Is this what you're looking for?

Code:

Private Sub mods_lista_Click() 'click event of a listbox Dim ws As Workspace Dim db As Database Dim rs As Recordset Dim strsql as String Set ws = DBEngine.Workspaces(0) Set db = ws.Databases(0) strsql = "SELECT field1, field2" & _ "FROM myTable " & _ "WHERE id = 1" 'supposed code to execute query Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(strsql , dbOpenDynaset) 'then just fill the textboxes textbox1.text=rs!field1 textbox2.text=rs!field2 End Sub

I would suggest staying away from DLookup to populate you form. It is very inefficient and you can't be sure your application will stay small (if it is small).

DAO and ADO are as native as you can get with Access. I would suggest ADO since DAO is an older technology.

With ADO you need two things, one a connection (the default connection is CurrentProject.Connection) and second a RecordSet.

You'll want to make sure that your SQL returns some results, so check to make sure the recordset's EOF is not set to True. Your code will look something like:

Code:

Dim rstSeedLists As New ADODB.Recordset
        Dim cnnTables As New ADODB.Connection
        Dim strSQL As String

cnnTables.ConnectionString = CurrentProject.Connection
        cnnTables.Open

strSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblSeedList WHERE SeedListID=" & lngSeedListID

rstSeedLists.Open strSQL, cnnTables, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly

With rstSeedLists

If Not .EOF Then

LookupSeedListQuery = Nz(!QueryName, "")

End If

.Close

End With

Set rstSeedListQuery = Nothing
        Set cnnTables = Nothing

thanks for your help guys, ill go with ado