Unanswered: Uploading excel data into Ingres

Hi

I am currently uploading data into an Ingres db. It seems that when i am uploading data and someone is quering the db it freezes excel. Is there a way to prioritize the tasks. In other words can I make excel play nice with Ingres.

Thanks

Howdy and welcome to the board.

Is the problem on the Excel side or Ingres side? Sounds like maybe it might be on the Ingres side. (I have never used Ingres, so don't have any help there).
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

Hey Shades

I think it is an excel problem, I think it has to do with its one user at a time setup. I think excel can't handle 2 people trying to get access at the same time. I am not sure but its excel that freezes the db doesn't seem affected. I have about 80 excel sheets that upload one after another automatically and this problem freezes the whole process, its not an issue if I am around to reset but if I am out of the office it becomes an issue. The other problem is I know enough about both excel and Ingres to be dangerous but not enough to troubleshoot complex problems.

The limit on Excel files is that two or more can't make changes at the same time, unless shared, and then the last one in makes the changes. But in your case, there are many trying to access the same Excel files, rather that the db is accessing the files sequentially. That shouldn't be a problem.

Do you have the Excel files on your computer? If so, then it may think that it is trying to access at the same time (I occasionally have had a problem with copying XL files to a network).
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

Here is the setup its a little involved but I will trace out what's going on so we are on the same page. The excel sheets I have have embedded queries that bring in different data and tables. I have written formulas that manipulate that data. The files then save. I have a scheduler that opens the excel sheets they automatically refresh on open and then close. That data then gets uploaded to an Ingres db that can be accessed from the network and web by our clients. When they request data for certain dates and places the db is queried and results returned. as best I can figure out is that while excel is uploading new data if someone is querying the db excel doesn't like it and freezes. The excel files themselves are not being accessed by the db or the query. We initiate the upload from ourside. The system actually works quite well, its just sometimes I gewt this freeze up and the query/upload conflict is my best guess at the problem. I hope this clears things up a bit. I appreciate your help on this.

Sorry I forgot to mention that this is run off a network drive