Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3

    Question Unanswered: DB2 Odd Behavior

    Hello everyone, I have been investigating an issue that appears to be causing issues with my companys software tests.

    We test our software accross multiple versions of DB2 and OS's
    on one particular system, we seem to be experiencing some very slow initial connection speeds.

    for instance,
    If I connect to db2 via command line on the server by the owner of the database (db2inst1)
    the response time is about 60 seconds before it connects
    I then do a simple ? to list the db2 commands which normally would respond immediately.

    after about 60 seconds the command returns as it should.

    If I run the same command "?" again it responds immedialty and
    any command I run now appears to work quickly.

    If I log out though and then log back in, the initial command then is slow

    The issue is session based I beleive.

    It is almost like it is trying to authenticate the user accross a network.
    ie the same way a DNS server would if the Host name was not listed.
    I am not at all sure how this is happening nor do I have any idea how to even investigate what is causing this.

    Another odd thing I noted was if I connect to db2 as user root
    the commands run fast as expected.

    I checked the dbm cfg file
    and changed the following
    Code:
     Database manager authentication        (AUTHENTICATION) = CLIENT
     Cataloging allowed without authority   (CATALOG_NOAUTH) = NO
     Trust all clients                      (TRUST_ALLCLNTS) = YES
     Trusted client authentication          (TRUST_CLNTAUTH) = SERVER
    to
    Code:
     Database manager authentication        (AUTHENTICATION) = SERVER
     Cataloging allowed without authority   (CATALOG_NOAUTH) = NO
     Trust all clients                      (TRUST_ALLCLNTS) = YES
     Trusted client authentication          (TRUST_CLNTAUTH) = CLIENT
    as the other DB2 databases on other systems were set this way.
    I restarted the database but this did not help

    any ideas what I can look for ?

    I really appreciate any assistance you can offer.

    The version that I am experiencing problems with is
    DB2 7.1
    DB20000I The QUIT command completed successfully.
    bash-2.03$ db2licm -l
    Product Name = "DB2 Enterprise - Extended Edition"
    Product Password = "DB2UDBEEE"
    Version Information = "7.1"
    Expiry Date = "Permanent"
    Concurrent Connect User Policy = "Disabled"
    Registered Connect User Policy = "Disabled"
    Enforcement Policy = "Soft Stop"
    Number of processors = "1"
    Number of licensed processors = "1"
    Annotation = ""
    Other information = ""

    db2 level
    db2level
    DB21085I Instance "db2inst1" uses DB2 code release "SQL07010" with level
    identifier "02010105" and informational tokens "DB2 v7.1.0", "s000510" and "".

    RobertCo
    Last edited by RobertCo; 03-02-07 at 17:36.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3
    I have found out what was causing this behavior,
    It was not a Database issue directly, it had to do with the configuration of ypserv on this system.

    I corrected the ypserv configurations and the database started to perform as expected, actually even faster as the original config caused slight delays.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •