Unanswered: Btrieve file conversion

Hello, I am new to this BBS. I am a retired computer instructor with many years on mainframes and PC's.

I am doing some work for the office where my wife is employed. Here is my dilemma. They are using Peachtree Accounting Version 13 for DOS. They can not move to to Windows version of Peachtree because of special updates that were written for them. They would like me to write application using Visual Basic (I am certified through MS in it) to replace their Peachtree environment.

My problem is I need to find a conversion program to convert the Btrieve files into another database. I would prefer MS Access.

Can anyone help or give me suggestions?

Thanks,

Hi Sam. Welcome aboard.

about the only thing I've found is here. It's not free, but, it would surely save you a LOT of time.

I have a couple of questions.

Are you trying to recreate the existing app, using a more modern database as the backend and VB as the front end? Or, just copying the data out to Access for analysis by a user or two? (Access would be fine in that role)

If the former, how many users would be accessing the back end simultanously? And, approximately how much data are you talking about? If you're going to go to the trouble of moving the data out of Btrieve and writing a new front end, why not place it in a more robust data store than Access? MSDE or SQL Server express come to mind - they're both free, and both are much more stable than Access.
    Last edited by loquin; 03-08-07 at 14:36.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Provided Answers: 10
    As louin brushed over - are you sure Access is the right platform for this system.

You must bear in mind that access wil struggle to reach 10 concurrent users on any one system and has a maximum file size of 2Gb (forms, reports and queries inclusive in this limit).

HTH
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by loquin
    Hi Sam. Welcome aboard.

I have a couple of questions.

Are you trying to recreate the existing app, using a more modern database as the backend and VB as the front end? Or, just copying the data out to Access for analysis by a user or two? (Access would be fine in that role)

If the former, how many users would be accessing the back end simultanously? And, approximately how much data are you talking about? If you're going to go to the trouble of moving the data out of Btrieve and writing a new front end, why not place it in a more robust data store than Access? MSDE or SQL Server express come to mind - they're both free, and both are much more stable than Access.
    Thank you for the welcome and reply. I hope to be a contributer as well as posting questions.

Basically, I am trying to re-create the existing app using a more modern database as the backend and VB as the front end. For progress development speed, I was planning on using MS Access. That's the db I know how to develop. In all my database coding (Inserts, Modifications, and Deletes), I use SQL. I do know that language fairly good. I am planning on learning SQL server or some other server interface language.

Currently there are only about 3 people at any one time to access the database. So using MS Access I am not to concerned about concurrency. This will definitely change within the next year.

Thanks again,
    Sam

From a speed of development point of view - Access will be the quickest.
    If it's your familiar territory then go for it!
    The only thing I would suggest is -

make sure you understand how to connect the front and back ends efficiently.
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    From a speed of development point of view - Access will be the quickest.
    If it's your familiar territory then go for it!
    The only thing I would suggest is -

make sure you understand how to connect the front and back ends efficiently.
    Also, make frequent backups (and be prepared to deal with file corruption.)
    Lou
    使大吃一惊

Again, I want to say to all. thank you for your replies. Let me ask one of my original questions: Do you know of any conversion routine or any way to convert the Btrieve files?

Sam

did you check the (underlined) link in post #2?
    Lou
    使大吃一惊

Also, I just ran across this MSDN Link that may prove useful.

Quote Originally Posted by MSDN

External ISAM DLLs

Jet provides access to several external Indexed Sequential Access Method (ISAM) format files using a series of installable DLL files. The Jet engine supports three external ISAM formats: Xbase (XBS200.DLL), Paradox (PDX200.DLL) and Btrieve (BTRV200.DLL). These DLLs handle the reading and writing of data stored in dBASE®, FoxPro®, Paradox®, and Btrieve® file formats.
    There's an old Access 2.0 KB article that dealt with interfacing to BTrieve. As I recall, you'll need to use your office setup disk, re-run setup, and add the BTrieve ISAM driver. Then, you should be able to use that driver with the Jet engine to access the BTrieve files. (or the VB Pro/Enterprise ed. setup disks)

Here's a few other MSDN links that may prove useful:

UPD: New Btrieve Driver BTRV200.DLL Available - Q119739

How to Make Access DB & Transfer Data from Btrieve for MS-DOS - Q103441

PRB: Novell Btrieve Unexpected Error from External DB Driver - Q111286

Updated BTRV110.DLL for Btrieve ISAM Driver shipped w/ VB 3.0 - Q112444

ACC2: Troubleshooting "Can't Find Installable ISAM" Error
    Last edited by loquin; 03-08-07 at 14:27.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊

Pfft, loquin has all the answers!
    George
    Home | Blog

Convert Btrieve Database

Hi,

I know the thread is quite old but just in case some people have the same issue. when you really want to convert your exiting btrieve files to what ever for a format you should consider exporting them and then reload in the db you like. if you are a programmer you can check out jim kyles site. he provides some header infromation for older files. in case you have Btrieve /Pervasive SQL files newer then 6.15 you can check dbcoretech's site. they publish source snippets where you can read files up to version 9.x.

hope that helps....

Malton

Thanks Malton,

I tried what you suggested and it worked for me. I have a couple of issues though, but will probably post them in another thread or something. Thanks again!

Gordon,

if you are still facing problems you should check if some of the dbcoretech guys can help, they have published an open source btrieve file reader and it should support files up to V9 (I haven't had that format but using 7.x worked for me).

cheers

Malton