Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: create email from access

I would like to create an email message from Access based on a query. Query provides the email address. I would like the email address to be added to the 'to' line in the Outlook email message. Any help is appreciated!

Provided Answers: 6
    You can use SendObject in VBA, either using a recordset or DLookup to get the address (or anything else) from the query.
    Paul

example?

Thanks, but could you provide an example? Thanks!

Type SendObject in the Immediate window, place the cursor on SendObject, and press F1. Microsoft explans the command and gives an example too. Please note, the first 4 parameters for the SendObject command, that describe the object to send, are OPTIONAL. Therefore, you don't need to send an object, but you can use this command to send a simple e-mail message which is what it sounds like you want.
    After using Access help, if you still have questions, please ask.

Provided Answers: 10
    Macros are not the nicest way of doing anything, but it might be worth taking a look at making on to do this - because it's the simplest starting point.

Remember that if you right click and "Save as..." on a macro you can save it as a module (which will give you a kick start with the sytax etc)
    George
    Home | Blog

Macros are not particularly liked by 2003 - Modules are preferred. Converting Macros to Modules is a good habit to get into. They are also reusable and saves additional coding particularly when using "With CodeContextObject", this also can be used instead of Event Procedures on forms or reports.

A nice program is pdf995 which converts objects into pdfs which is handy if not all your audience has Access.

Provided Answers: 10
    Best thing about converting macros to modules:

Error handling!
    George
    Home | Blog

To Vic

Yes, I do not need to send an object but rather need to create an email with the email address in the To line. The user obtains the email address via a form. They enter a matter number that identifies the party for whom they would like to see the email. Once they have the correct email they should click a button that then creates the email with the email address in the To line.

GolferGuy
    Registered User Join Date: Jan 2007

Type SendObject in the Immediate window, place the cursor on SendObject, and press F1. Microsoft explans the command and gives an example too. Please note, the first 4 parameters for the SendObject command, that describe the object to send, are OPTIONAL. Therefore, you don't need to send an object, but you can use this command to send a simple e-mail message which is what it sounds like you want.
    After using Access help, if you still have questions, please ask.

Have you looked at the help file for SendObject? Please look at that, and then any questions you have to help make that clear, please ask. I think that once you see what SendObject will do, you will see that filling in the To line is just part of using that command, SendObject.

I did read it and it was very helpful. I understand the basics of it and how it creates a basic email with attachment, however I'm not understanding what the syntax should look like for the sendObject command when the email is obtained through a query and then that email is used to put in the To line.

Thanks!

There are issues here one the email address and two the object to be sent. I use CDONTS driven by a form and get the user to "collect" the object. Try forgive me if the quotes aren't quite right!

Function SendDBObject()

With CodeContextObject

DoCmd.SendObject acSendReport, "MyReport", acFormatXLS, _
    & "' .[EmailAddress] & "',"MyReport", , False

End With

End Function

The With CodeContextObject refers to the Form and the .[EmailAddress] refers to the forms email address control.

I am not looking to send an object. I have a form that has a button, when clicked it invokes a query. The user enters the parameter value and the results produce the record that contains, amongst other info, an email. This is the email that needs to be used to produce the email (and put in the To line).

Thanks.

Was is the parameter value that qualifies the Query. If one assumes that there is a relationship between Parameter Value and the Client you should be able to get the Email address from a Combobox. On the ComboBox if there is a column for "Yor Parameter", Client, and EmailAddress on AfterUpdate

With CodeContextObject

.[EmailAddress] = .[MyParameterBox].Column(2)

End with

i.e. The Email Address needs to be on your form.

Simon

As I understand what you are wanting is to get the email from the query, which is fine, but I don't understand if you are calling the message you will be sending the email, or if you are calling the To Address the email. For this purpose, I will assume you are getting both from the query.
    You need to make a recordset out of the query, I will assume you know how.
    Then, when looping through the records of the query, and I will use "QryRS" for Query recordset.
    Code:
    docmd.SendObject ,,,QryRS.emailAddress,,,"This is the Subject",QryRS.emailMessage
    HTH,

to Vic

This example helps a lot, thanks. Yes, I'm only wanting to obtain the email address from the query and that have that added to the To line in the email. I do not want to add an attachment, nor a subject line.

Could you give an example of looping through a recordset? also, why would I have to loop through the recordset if the user selects a particular record via the parameter they enter for the query (query will provide one record as a result).