Unhappy Unanswered: Why is my poor little database corrupting?

I have a small Access 2003 database that has corrupted twice in the past two weeks. Only the front end has been corrupting, not the data. It has been running for at least a year with no corruption or bloat problems, nor any design changes. It is split with both sides on the network, the front end around 3MB, the data side maybe 20MB. There are usually only about 3-5 concurrent users.

Could this be a hardware problem? Bringing this up at work is like announcing Jesus doesn't exist, so are there some clues I can look for? Some people have complained about the network being slower for other things. I'm not very knowledgeable about networks, but I've read this is a possible reason for Access databases to corrupt. So far, this is the only database on that network to start corrupting.

Any ideas on this problem are appreciated.

Provided Answers: 7
    What i would do is

1 st load the front end and go in the visual basic and
    with a module open and do a full compile of it debug->compile ......
    close it

2 open database again and compact and repair database
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

Cool

Yikes! I did what you recommended, and for some reason, the database keeps decompiling itself?! Also, the links to the back end (all one DB ~20MB) take a long time to open the first time, which explains the long wait time when opening the database.

Sooooooo, I copied all the objects from the front end into a new blank database. That fixed it. So, I guess even my "safe" copy on my hard drive got corrupted. Weird since it was fine before and I haven't used it in months, but that's Access for you.

Thanks for your suggestions. It wasn't the final answer but did point me in the right direction.

Provided Answers: 6
    You would be safer to have each user run a copy of the FE from their own PC, rather than share a common copy. That will often cause corruption.
    Paul

I would totally agree with pbaldy. Keep a Fornt End mdb on the server and make an mde for each user - it is compiled. I would also suggest that you create a common file on the Back End database and bind it to a start form, the performance is significantly improved.

The front end on the users' PC would probably work with this database, we just don't usually do it because changes are more frequent and most Access databases here have more users. I'll consider it if it corrupts again sometime soon, but it did go nearly a year without problems.

SimonMT, I'm not sure what you mean by binding the back end database to a start form. Could you explain it, and why it improves performance? Do you mean speed or reliability?

Access is markedly slow accessing data off the server so I have a Menu system, on the first (Default) Menu this is bound to a server side Companies Table via a query that returns 1 record. All the "Common" variables are on this table which are useful to control the User Interface. This table is always open for each user.

I believe that the problem lies with the ldb locking file, if the user already has an entry then Access doesn't have to set-up a new one each time that user has no tables open. There is probably a more expert answer available and more eloquent solutions around but I know from experience that you cut down a forms performance to almost instantaneous that used to take 15 seconds to load.

Simon

Provided Answers: 7
    and other thing I do

Then In the Startup of each Computer I put s little Batch file that copies the front end from the server to the User computer

and if the Get any problem i just tell them to reboot machine knowing they getting a clean copy.
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.