Unanswered: Install DB2/UDB v8.2 AIX

hi,

I am trying to install DB2 v8.2 on AIX. I used the db2setup, but I have this
    error message

"The DISPLAY variable is not set properly. Ensure that the DISPLAY variable is set properly and that permissions are set properly to open windows on the display specified, then rerun the command."

What do I need to do to make the setup working?

Thanks in advance

-scricket

The db2setup uses a GUI install. You must export the display to the ip address of your terminal. Ask your SA for help if you do not know how to do this.

Or instead, you could use the command line install, which I believe is called db2install
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Also, you need to have an X server running. If you don't know what we are talking about, then use the command line tool "db2_install" instead of "db2setup".
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Install DB2 UDB v8.2 AIX

hi,

Thank you for the advice. I use db2_install, it works.
    I am creating the db2 instance and fenced user and das.
    What is the role and purpose of the db2 fenced user ?

Thanks
    -scricket

Fenced users are a security and protection mechanism employed by DB2. They are used to execute external routines (UDFs and stored procedures). A separate process (named "db2fmp") executes the routines. The owner of the process is that fenced user.

Due to the fact that the process is run by the fenced user, the routines in that process cannot access the DB2 internal data structures and DB2 files. So you don't open up security holes that way. Another, equally important aspect is that a crash of the routine won't bring down the whole DB2 engine - as could happen if the routine is executed in "trusted" (aka not fenced) mode inside the db2agent process.

Note that the separate process has, of course, (minimally) higher costs for the communication of DB2 with the routine. With trusted routines, the communication happens inside a the db2agent process; with fenced routines you will have IPC in the picture. As soon as the routine does a bit more than just adding two numbers, the mentioned overhead is usually negligible.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development