Unanswered: Transaction log - keeps growing

Hi,

I'm getting this SQL server log...

The log file for database 'P5_Nextel' is full. Back up the transaction log for the database to free up some log space

What i'm doing is, i just resizing the space allocated, but the problem is my disk is now out of space. How can i prevent this kind of problem without adding a new disk? Is there any other way?

Please advise.

Thanks!

What i'm doing is, i just resizing the space allocated, but the problem is my disk is now out of space. How can i prevent this kind of problem without adding a new disk? Is there any other way?
    Are the data file & transaction log resides on the same disk..?

If "YES", you should add a new disk or free some disk space - moving unwanted data / files from the disk. As the disk is out of space, adding a new disk is good option.

The log file for database 'P5_Nextel' is full. Back up the transaction log for the database to free up some log space
    Backup transaction log using truncate_only option.
    Last edited by rajeshpatel; 03-07-07 at 00:22.
    Rajesh Patel

Everybody says - mistake is the first step of success, but it's not true. The correction of the mistake is the first step of success.

[QUOTE=rajeshpatel]Are the data file & transaction log resides on the same disk..?

If "YES", you should add a new disk or free some disk space - moving unwanted data / files from the disk. As the disk is out of space, adding a new disk is good option.

Is it possible to reduce the size of a transaction log? and how?
    thanks!

Is it possible to reduce the size of a transaction log? and how?
    Already answer given in above post, I have quoted it below.

Backup transaction log using truncate_only option.
    Check Books OnLine (Query Analyzer - > Help Menu) for "BACKUP" syntax & other information.

It seems that you are not dealing with sensitive data. If it's not important data (or you are learning / testing SQL Server) change your recovery model to "SIMPLE" from database property.

"SIMPLE" recovery won't grow the log size as well as you will not be able to recover entire database (excluding your latest backup) in case of any mishaps.
    Rajesh Patel

Everybody says - mistake is the first step of success, but it's not true. The correction of the mistake is the first step of success.

Thank you sir!