Question Unanswered: Please help SQL server 2005 compatablity issues

We have been trying to upgrade one of our server from SQL server 2000 to SQL server 2005.

I need to establish a couple of things first.

1. Is it possible to set up replication between a SQL server 2000
    database and a SQL server 2005 database?
    2. We have been able to backup a SQl server
    database on 2000 and restore it onto 2005, but not been able to
    restore a 2005 on to a 2000 database. Is oit backwardly compatatbale
    in this manner?

Thanks for any help.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Nixies
    in this manner?
    that's not a backcompat issue. that's a forward compat issue, and is hardly ever supported for any sort of software. it's like asking a program written for Vista to work on XP.

It's impossible for the 2000 devs to predict the future (what features will exist in 2005, and how they will be implemented) so how could it work?

We have been trying to upgrade one of our server from SQL server 2000 to SQL server 2005.

I need to establish a couple of things first.

As I recall from MS, the requirements are that the Distributor be the first entity to be upgraded to SQL 2005. Then the publisher, then the subscriber. That would suggest that what you are trying might be doable, but it would go against MS best practices. That said, you might be able to get away with it if you have a SQL 2005 distributor.

in this manner?
    As mentioned by someone else, I don't think so. I do believe that you can take a db that has not been upgraded to SQL 90 compatibility, detach it and then attach it to a SQL 80 (SQL 2000) box.

Thanks for any help.

Ed
    Have you hugged your backup today?

I had one way transactional replication set up in my last post with the sql2k box acting as publisher and distributer and the SQL2k5 box as the subscriber.

I initially set up the replication using the GUI and then scripted out the code so we could reinitialise very quickly. As I recall, you needed to set up the subscription from the 2005 box as the 2000 GUI (unsurprisingly) would not recognise 2005 SQL Servers. You could set up a push subscription from the 2005 instance though.

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Thanks for the help. I really need to use Merge replication. Does any know if this is possible?

In merge replication, the distributor cannot be a lower SQL Server version or build than the publisher, and the publisher cannot be a lower version or build than any subscribers. I can recall that on SQL Server 2000, replication would fail if this condition wasn't true. Haven't tried on SQL Server 2005, but I'm pretty sure the same rules apply.

This is also important when installing SQL Server hotfixes or service packs. The upgrade path must be distributor->publisher->subscriber.