Question Unanswered: Can Flash work with SQL 2005 for non-web application?

I am not sure if this is the right folder to post, but currently I'm considering using Flash as an interface, the application at www.mobik.com seems impressive, simple and sweet. But I'm wondering if I can build desktop application with flash and SQL2005 as backend for all the processing. at the same time, the flash shall be getting updates from a server. Possible?

I would think so. I have never written anything in flash but there must be apis for it to communicate to the outside world. How else would all those flash games be able to save their high scores?

if you can use COM or .net from inside flash then you could certainly do it.

wouldn't that make the whole thing very messy?

I'm trying to reduce different technologies/platform to be used within a single application...... if not because .net 3.0 is also not impressive enough, I wouldn't have look at flash.......

I think there is not many people doing it. But I heard Crystal Excelsiors is Flash base.

again, I have no experience with Flash, so I should probably shut up.

what I do have experience with is the standard apis that clients use to communicate with SqlServer. Those are things like SqlClient (.net), OLEDB (com), etc.

I'd be surprised if Macromedia had their own api for talking to databases however. I bet they just tell people to use existing apis. just a guess.

If I were you I wouldn't use flash to build a non-web GUI client though. I'd use winforms and C#.

winforms is not user friendly enough, my users has no keyboard, everything is accessed through touch panel. I guess it is easier to achieve "WOW" UI with Flash, do correct me if I'm wrong