Unanswered: Advanced topics/features/usage of DTS's

Hello,

I know the basics of DTSs and have been using them for a while. Now I REALLY want to learn the advanced concepts related to DTS's e.g.

1. How to make use of the "Inner Package Global Variables" Tab (which is visible in the DTS Designer "window")
    2. How to make use of the "Outer Package Global Variables" Tab (which is visible in the DTS Designer "window")
    3. How to make use of the "Outer Package Global Variables" Tab (which is visible in the menu bar option #4 Designer "window")

Many advance thanks for your help.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Joozh
    I know the basics of DTSs and have been using them for a while. Now I REALLY want to learn the advanced concepts related to DTS's
    I can think of much better uses for your time. DTS was a klunky tool to begin with, poorly implemented and poorly integrated into the SQL Server environment. I would never have recommended that anybody use it for anything beyond simple data transfers, and now that it has been completely dropped from the latest SQL Server version 2005 it might be more useful for you to study Latin.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Hmmm... Thanks for the feedback.

At the moment I don't think my college will be shifting to SQL 2005 and that is why I thought that I'd get better on it. However you have given me some useful food for thought by saying that SQL 2005 doesn't offer DTS's at all.

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    I can think of much better uses for your time. DTS was a klunky tool to begin with, poorly implemented and poorly integrated into the SQL Server environment. I would never have recommended that anybody use it for anything beyond simple data transfers, and now that it has been completely dropped from the latest SQL Server version 2005 it might be more useful for you to study Latin.
    Dammit man! Every time I feel smart, you tell me I've been doing it all wrong. Now I'm going to rewrite some huge processes. I hope we don't migrate to 2005 anytime soon.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

Provided Answers: 1
    SQL Server 2005 dropped the DTS utility, and it has been replaced by something called Integration Services which is an even bigger monstrosity.
    The two utilities have the same concept, but they are sufficiently different that in-depth knowledge of DTS packages is not going to help you with Integration Services.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Will I still be able to execute ActiveX scripts?

Provided Answers: 11
    Amo, Amas, Amat, Amamus, Amatis, Amant....

Hey, isn't that basically the Barney song in Latin?
    ("I love you, you love me...")

What's that have to do with ActiveX and DTS?

Provided Answers: 54
    yes, you can executed Active-X script, in more than one way in SSIS. You certainly can do it, and for getting DTS packages running quickly, it is really convenient... When you try to do "heavy lifting" with Active-X in SSIS, you'll be reminded very quickly just how many better choices SSIS offers!

Push for the conversion to SQL 2005. Push hard!

-PatP