Unanswered: Syntax of DDEPoke

Hello all.

I'm looking for a little help on the VBA instruction DDEPoke.
    I get the general gist of it.
    You need to do a DDEInitiate() to get a channel number, and then you need to use DDEPoke to send info.
    Syntax : DDEPoke (channum, item, data)
    However, I can't find info on the syntax for the 'item' field in the case of an Access database.
    How do you name a field ?
    Is it possible to enter the info for a whole record (several fields) ?

Many thanks for any information that you can give my.

Mad Ant

I did some DDE stuff about 9 or 10 years ago, and I'm sorry I don't remember anything that would help you here. But I am wondering why use DDE when there are other ways to do things these days. Would you like to share what it is that you are doing, maybe someone has an idea of another, easier way to do it.

The projet, roughly, is entering data into an address-book-type table.
    Once the data is entered, they have a marco which takes the data from the table(s), and send them via DDEPoke to a Word document, to place the data in appropriate fields.
    The person doing this says that he has a syntax problem with the DDEPoke, but since i haven't seen the code, and actually don't know much about VBA, I was hoping for a little help on the syntax of it.

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

Mad Ant

Anyone have an idea ? Or at least a link to where I could possible get more information ?

Try this for some background for the Item: http://www.micromanipulator.com/asse...1-PCP2-DDE.PDF As I remember (it was over 8 years ago, at least) the Item is basically a command to the DDE code in the other program. The DDEPoke "TALKS TO" the DDERequest. The DDE Topic is where the link between the two programs is defined. And the Item is like which "Case" will be executed in a "Select" statement by the other program.
    If HTH,