Unanswered: Pls help - Error with Universal Installer

Installing Oracle 8.1.7 on Solaris 8

I performed the pre-installation steps (or at least I think I did). I ran the runInstaller program (as the oracle user) - and when I get to the part asking for the Inventory location, I choose the default (/opt/oracle/product/oraInventory), I get error message

"Could not create the Inventory Location"

Any ideas? One portion I did not go thru on the pre-install was the mounting of directories (/u01) or something like that. I skipped that part because the doc siad I'd have the option to run orainstRoot.sh instead when runnning the Install - this script would ensure all the variables, accounts, parameters, etc are set.

Thanks!

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >"Could not create the Inventory Location"
    >Any ideas?
    The user doing the install does not have permission to create folder/files.
    What OS name & version?
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Here is output of uname -a :

5.8 Generic_108528-29 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2

I am doing this as the oracle user. Yes, it appears I do not have permissions. However I am going through the Installation documentation, and nowhere does it explicitly say I have to assign or change permissions.

Here is the doc I'm following:

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/pdf/A85471_01.pdf

I find this documentation extremely frustrating. I tells you to do something but doesnt provide you the steps to do it!

I apprecitae any help

Provided Answers: 1
    I find this documentation extremely frustrating. I tells you to do something but doesnt provide you the steps to do it!
    I agree that at times the documentation is unclear, but you can't expect Oracle to hold your hand & tiptoe through your installation with you. Everybody's environment is different, so the document will always be generic. Also, If you're at the stage where you're installing software, can't Oracle assume some things (e.g. that you have Admin rights)?
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.