Unanswered: Question about Linked Table Manager

I have a customer with an Access application (2003) that links to a backend SQL Server database. I have my own local copies of both for development.

I added a column to a table in the SQL Server database and changed my code to use the new column to populate data on a form. When I ran the app at my customer's, it prompted me for a value for EmployeeSK, the new column. I kept insisting the administrators there had me pointing to the wrong database.

Locally, when I added the column to the table, everything worked. When I deleted the column from the table, it broke, so I thought that confirmed I was pointing to a database that didn't contain the new table with the added column when running at the customer's.

Then, after the adminstrator insisted it was pointing to the right place and that I had a problem in my app and that I needed to relink, I ran Linked Table Manager and relinked, and it's now working at the customers.

Why locally did I not have to relink while there I did? I feel very foolish I did not know I needed to do this and kept blaming it on them. The only difference in their config and mine is everything here is on my machine (Access and backend SQL) while there it's on two separate physical machines.

But I'd like to understand why there's the difference.

Thanks.

I haven't run into this before, and I won't pretend to know the answer.
    But I wonder if it has something to do with how the DSN's are set up on the machines (user vs system vs file)?
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

That COULD be it! They are set up differently. Mine is a User DSN and theirs is a System DSN.

At least if I had some rudimentary explanation I could pass it on to them as an excuse for not knowing I had to relink on their side! This is a start.

Thanks.

I am not sure WHY that is the case. But my experience with linking to SQL Server tables (done quite a bit in the last year) is that any changes you make to the structure of a table in SQL Server will not 'appear' until you relink to those tables.

I am not sure but I believe some structure information is stored in the MSysObjects table in the RmtInfoLong field. For each ODBC table I have there is something in that field. I would imagine that info is only updated when re-linking.

Yeah, I guess I learned a lesson I hope I don't forget. Thanks again.

I still don't understand why the version on your machine behaved differently than the version on the other machine? You should have had to "re-link" the table for it to work on either machine.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation