Question Unanswered: How to search for and replace a value in all tables using a sql script.

Hello Everyone,

Is there a way to search all the tables in a database for a value that is found in a specific column? Another problem is that although this specific column will be found in most of the tables in the database, it has a different two or three digit prefix in the column name for each table.

I think the logic will go something like this...

As the script jumps from table to table, it should first look for a column whose name ends with ***ITM. If it does not find a column with ***ITM it should move on to the next table. If it does, then search the ***ITM column for my value. If it does not find my value, then move to the next table. But if it does, change my value to a new value.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all...
    Last edited by Jovix; 03-15-07 at 15:08.

if u r in SQL 2K, this script will generate all the update SQLs needed. though by using exec in the script u can directly execute the updates as well, but it is better to check them before execution

Code:
    exec sp_msforeachtable 'declare @Fld varchar(100) select top 1 @Fld=Column_Name from information_schema.Columns where Table_Name = parsename(''?'',1) and Column_Name like ''%Sal'' if @Fld is not null print (''update ? set '' + @Fld + ''=New_Value where '' + @Fld + ''=My_value '') '

Thanks so much, like you mentioned I would like to see the items that need to be updated before executing the actual update. Can you help me revise the scipt so that it becomes a select query retrieving only the items that need to be updated.

Thanks again.

here it is

Code:
    exec sp_msforeachtable 'declare @Fld varchar(100) select top 1 @Fld=Column_Name from information_schema.Columns where Table_Name = parsename(''?'',1) and Column_Name like ''%ITM'' if @Fld is not null print (''select '' + @Fld + '',* from ? where '' + @Fld + ''=My_value '') '