Unanswered: what data source to choose

I have visual studio 2005 and I am going to create a web application. Which data source or data provider will I choose when I'm connecting to the database(MS SQL Server)? and how about when I create a windows application? will I use the same thing? tnx

not sure what you mean. if you are coding in .net that you should use the classes in System.Data.SqlClient for talking to sql server.

examples of connection strings here: http://www.connectionstrings.com/?carrier=sqlserver2005 (sqlclient connstrs near the bottom of the page)

sqlclient classes: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...sqlclient.aspx

now im using this connection string...
    Data Source=.\\sqlexpress;Initial Catalog=mydb;Integrated Security=true
    the problem now is that it cannot open the database requested by the login. it's saying that login failed.
    it appears on my conn.Open();
    Last edited by wishlister; 03-20-07 at 11:43.

have a look here for connection string examples:

http://www.connectionstrings.com

yes, and that's where i got my syntax.. still with problem! sorry but its my first time!

Are you using the Express version of SQL 2005 that installs with Visual Studio .Net 2005 locally? Or are you using a remote instance of SQL Server? Which version of SQL server are you running; 7.0, 2000, 2005? Is the SQL server using Windows NT Security, or SQL Authentication or both? Do you have a userID for the instance of SQL Server?

Important questions.
    "An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly understood; an inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." ~G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by wishlister
    Data Source=.\\sqlexpress;Initial Catalog=mydb;Integrated Security=true
    That ain't what it should be nor what is in connectionstrings.com. Check your data source again....
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Shouldn't integrated security be =SSPI in .NET too??
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by msmeland
    Are you using the Express version of SQL 2005 that installs with Visual Studio .Net 2005 locally? Or are you using a remote instance of SQL Server? Which version of SQL server are you running; 7.0, 2000, 2005? Is the SQL server using Windows NT Security, or SQL Authentication or both? Do you have a userID for the instance of SQL Server?
    I'm so sorry but I can't understand those things. that's why I'm having difficulty following those syntax. will you help me answer that questions? just teach me how to find them.

You need to talk to your DBA.
    "An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly understood; an inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." ~G.K. Chesterton