Thread: Where to begin?

Where to begin?

I have an idea for building a rich internet application with all of the "bells and whistles" of Web 2.0 (blogs, wikis, tagging, RSS, etc.) But I have no idea where to begin. How does one layout an idea for a website so that it can be built? Also, I want to become an expert on all three parts of the development environment (as I understand them): database, middle tier and GUI. But I have no idea where to begin.

I am looking for suggestions for books, tutorials, online classes, etc. -- that will assist me in learning these concepts and working toward building a rich internet application. Any thoughts or suggestions on this topic?

The idea itself would not be the next Google/YouTube -- just an idea that will really cost me money to host -- but will give me the experience in designing and building an RIA...

Thanks for any suggestions.

How does one layout an idea for a website so that it can be built?
    wireframing is one technique

but if you cannot explain in a few words what it's supposed to do, you're going to have a hard time building it

as for the three tiers, i would start with the GUI, and i would stick to just HTML and CSS to begin with
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL