Unanswered: Access and images

Hi,

I am a total noob to access and i was wondering if anyone has any links or can explain to me how access handles images?

I was also thinking of maybe adding some video to the access database that i want to create as well. Is this just as easy to do as pictures?

I have had a search on the internet but can't really find a guide of how access handles images and videos.

Thanks

Kurose

Quote Originally Posted by kurose
    Hi,

I am a total noob to access and i was wondering if anyone has any links or can explain to me how access handles images?
    I can explain in one word: "poorly."

If you invest in 3rd party software, it's not bad, though. I haven't used it myself, but I've seen good press around DBPix.

I was also thinking of maybe adding some video to the access database that i want to create as well. Is this just as easy to do as pictures?
    Not unless you can find some third party software to work with it. It *might* work, but the weakness of OLE Object fields is that they are dependant on the configuration of the user's machine.

That means that you can uninstall or upgrade some software and find that your video is inaccessible. You won't even be able to save it to a file.

OLE Objects are a great idea, but it's way too easy to lose your data or make the database balloon in size.

Provided Answers: 59
    a far smarter approach is to launch an appropriate media player using a URL stored in the DB

grnted you may need to do some local config at each worktstation (eg this terminal uses REALm, this terminal use QuickTime or whatever.

the reason
    1) your db isnt bloating because of stroing redundant data that Access/Jet cannot use or process, so your db backkups become smaller. your clients may be able to cache files,
    you are not limited to showing content form one physical location.. theoretically they can be shown content from anywhere.
    you are not limited to a specific data type.. eg if somene comes along with some new whizzy data format you dont need to track down a compatible control for that format in a hurry

the main downside is that the storage of the data is outside the applications control.. so its quite possible for the file to be overwritten or corrupted or deleted or moved. which you wont know until you try to access the file.

if you need to secure or provide soem form of evidential trail on the data then you can come close to that by using things like timestamps, file sizes and Hashed fingerprints to verify the content is the same as the content being tracked by the applciation
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I am biased towards dbpix. When I started looking at images I just wanted to integrate the images onto my forms and reports, I just could not believe that OLE was a solution as it converted small thumbnails into massive bitmap files. I was so underwhelmed with OLE that I hunted around until I stumbed across dbpix. With an eye on producing a web site I also found that I could interrogate each image and drop the image aspect into the database. When it came to the dynamic asp pages the image sizes could be extracted directly from the database.

The way it works is that once you have created a stock record the image file name is the stock record number. Stock_ID 1000 image = "1000.jpg". All you need to do now is identify the drive and path and add the image:

Image File = "ImageDir/ImagePath/" & Stock_ID & ".jpg".

Also stored are:

Image Height = rs("Image Height")
    Image Width = rs("Image Width")
    Image Size = rs("Image Size")

There is no image footprint within the database and having used dbpix for over 5 years it is still the best ever purchase I've made.

Yes, there are other methods you can use but I treat the image no differently to any other aspect of stock, it is just as important as price.

You can check out www.flowerseast.com to see how useful dbpix, although we use html to render images every dynamic page with an image has been controllled by dbpix.

Personally speaking, the real "noob" is the designer of OLE's handling of images, jpgs are the common format why because they are efficient, bitmaps simply aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMT
    Personally speaking, the real "noob" is the designer of OLE's handling of images, jpgs are the common format why because they are efficient, bitmaps simply aren't.
    OLE goes back to 1992 (source) whereas the JPEG standard had only just been issued and wouldn't be accepted by ISO for another two years (source), about when Netscape 1 came out (source).

Early on, the biggest player was GIF because most people were still on either Compuserve or AOL. (Compuserve, if you'll recall, invented the GIF format.) So, back then all Windows "knew" was BMP and maybe RLE. And no one thought they'd use OLE to stash thousands of images.

Now, as to why they've never fixed it in the meantime... that's another story entirely.

I would just link the images and videos to your database. Set up field(s) and set the data type to hyperlink. Then hyperlink the images and videos to their corresponding records. When I was new to Access, I embedded images into my database (photos of problems that needed to be addressed) as OLE objects, and within a few days, I'd sent the file size over 2GB and the whole database exploded in my face. I had to make a new one and import the structure and go back and hyperlink everything instead of embedding it.

thanks for the replys everyone! very helpful!

I would still be tempted to integrate the images because there is really no obstacles to seeing what the product looks like on each Stock record.

Simon

Provided Answers: 8
    I built a database That Stored the images in the database I just get to big to quick like 50+ megs

Then i took the images out and save the image to a folder and just save the filename to the database the database went down to about 2 meg

The only problem I came a cross was the user were deleteing the records but not deleteing the images

I have to write some vbscript that would get the file name from the folder and do a record count and if count was 0 then Delete the image.
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

When jpegs are stored in an Access file, their bitmap is actually what is being stored... and so, the database grows by leaps and bounds.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert