Thread: SGA size

Exclamation Unanswered: SGA size

Hi All

I have (Non huge) DB (largest table has only 350,000 records), running since 4 years ago.
    OS = windows2000 server
    SERVER = COMPAQ PROLIANT ML530R01 with 1 processor and 1 GB ram

the SGA setting is :
    SHARED POOL 240 MB
    BUFFER CASH 160 MB
    LARGE POOL 16 MB
    JAVA POOL 00000 MB

SGA MAX SIZE 433 MB

PGA 16 MB

Question No. 1 :
    For this environment, is the memory settings right ?

Question No. 2 :
    we are about increase the RAM to 3 GB, what is the rigth setting for SGA and PGA after that ?

thanx inadvance

It depends on the application and what else is running on the server. If the database owns the server, then well just dedicate as much RAM as possible. Your SGA settings looks ok for me if its a DW application, but not if its OLTP. You need to tell us about your environment in order to make any recommendations. For example, it could be that you're using 10g+ where you just need to tell Oracle how much physical RAM can it take for the SGA and forget about the individual parameters.

I am using Oracle 9i

What is the application type ? Is this a reporting application or a transactional application ? .. Statspacks might help here as well, it has sections that give you estimations on how you should size your caches... But like I said, if the DB owns the server, then just dedicate as much RAM as possible, I am not fond on the idea that 'the more RAM you allocate, the more CPU you burn' that, that could have been a problem in early days where CPU were top at 33mhz, but with today's technology I am not.. I just allocate as much RAM as possible and thats it.

It is transactional application

what is Statspacks ??? do u have any documents about it

If you are running windows 2000 then you will be limited to 2GB per process unless you use the 3GB switch. NOTE the 2GB limit includes memory fragmentation so you actually have to ensure Oracle has a bit less, we usually limit our database to 1.5GB for SGA+PGA.

Alan