In front of the computer
    Provided Answers: 54

Unanswered: tempdb data versus log size

Against my better judgement, we are using fixed allocations of tempdb on some of our servers. This is to deal with specific limitations of our applicaitons and hardware configuration that I'm not allowed to discuss in much detail.

The problem that I have is that the present plan is to configure the data file at around 18 Gb and the log file at around 2 Gb. This seems just plain wrong to me, but I haven't been able to find a formal recommendation that gives any relative sizing. I would expect to have about twice as much log as data space, especially for tempdb.

Does anyone know of a formal citation (preferably from Microsoft) that discusses this?

Provided Answers: 11
    Twice as much log as data? Shouldn't that be the other way around? I just took a survey of my own tempdbs (all set to autogrow, so they have probably hit their optimum sizes by now). Among instances where tempdb is over 1GB in size, the highest log usage I am getting is about 25% of data size.

Holmestrand, Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Does anyone know of a formal citation (preferably from Microsoft) that discusses this? (tempdb space requirements)
    I think this is the article you're looking for:

The general recommendation is: Know your instance, since tempdb space requirements vary greatly between instances.
    Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - - Facebook - Twitter