Unanswered: database wont open

In our small office we have 8 computers. On one of the computers we have a .mdb file "WorkOrder". Once the file is opened on the network and then closed, we cannot access that file anymore??? I can go to the computer where the file is located, drag the icon of the file to another folder or the desktop, then drag it right back and the file can be opend?????????????????????
    I can do this everytime, but what a waste.
    Someone in the past has suggested front end and back end,but I just am unfamiliar with all of that. We are such a small company that if we could just access the file from that computer, this would be fine.
    Any help is GREATLY appreciated,
    Michael
    Gotta to do some code

Provided Answers: 10
    Could be a database locking issue...
    If it is:

In the folder that contains the database there should be a hidden .ldb file. If a user exits the database incorrectly, e.g. it crashes then the locking file doesn't realise they have left, locking the database.
    Best way to stop this from happening is simply reaching the users best practice (i.e. closing through form buttons rather than the dreaded big red X).

Now instead of moving the database in and out of a folder, you can simply...

I'm going to say this before I continue: make sure everyone is out of the dabtabase before you...

delete the .ldb file
    George
    Home | Blog

I know about the .ldb file and sometimes this is the issue. However, it is not and the issue still occurs. As far as adding a close button, can you suggest what code I can write for the button to ensure proper close?
    Please?

Michael
    Gotta to do some code

Unfortunately, because every system is different, what you want to do on close is always different.
    For example, if you have any recordsets open, make sure you close them and set them to =Nothing .
    The other alternative it to find out what (or who) is causing it to fail - this could be through the implementation of an audit log, or a simple "What were you doing when..."
    If you can find out what part of the system is locking the database, then we can work out a solution!
    George
    Home | Blog

It could be that the one computer is using a different set of references than the others.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

Oooh good call. Try find out if it's a specific workstation that's causing the problem.
    George
    Home | Blog

RedNeckGeek,
    What does your statement mean?
    Different set of references?

Michael
    Gotta to do some code

From any module window, go to Tools->References. See which ones are checked. Make sure the same ones (and no others) are checked on the
    PC that is causing the problem.

Just a thought, no guarantees
    Inspiration Through Fermentation