Unanswered: help - can't connect to database after computer crashed during table alteration

I was altering a few columns (setting to allow nulls) on a large table (30+ million records) and the machine naturally crashed. I rebooted, and now I can't connect to the DB - enterprise manager hangs, and query analyzer times out. is it likely the whole DB is screwed up, assuming the table alteration was incomplete?

thankfully, I do have a backup, but for future reference, is there a preferred way to make changes to large tables? last time I did this it took over an hour, and enterprise manager gives no progress indication to make me feel more comfortable that it's actually doing something...

First, have you checked if your SQL Server service is running? Have you tried checking out the error logs? Am not sure but isn't it a numero uno that databases write to their logs first before flushing them into their respective data files when someone executes commit?

Prior to the database crash, have you tried setting the recovery model of your database?

checking that stuff now...interestingly, the DB seems to work now. is it possible that sql server is smart/robust enough to "recover" when interrupted in operations like this? all I did was leave it overnight, and I come back in this morning and find that there are (seemingly) no issues. hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbs
    is it possible that sql server is smart/robust enough to "recover" when interrupted in operations like this?
    actually, it's their selling point. if you want to get an up-to-date recovery of database, check the logs in the enterprise manager