Unanswered: 9i Data Guard VBO-1509 & ORA-16757 "Data source could not be updated"

This is an urgent request for help as there are a lot of uncomfortable faces around here at the moment!!

We are running a 9i production database with a physical standby server that uses Data Guard to ship logs over and apply. Everything here runs on Windows.

A few days ago the batteries in the UPS live server failed which crashed the production database. Restarted fine but I didn't find out about it until last night.

I checked the standby server and found Data Guard was down with a couple hundred archive logs that hadn't been shipped over (everything stops when Data Guard is down). As a result, I successfully restarted the broker and both live and standby databases are online and connected, seemingly so.

However, the log-shipping process will not restart, probably because there is such a significant gap in archive logs between servers. The LIVE_SITE is at log #3997 and STANDBY_SITE is at #3629. There are only a dozen logs that have been shipped over since I restarted the broker, so I guess it can't apply these until it retrieves the few hundred logs missing.

I was under the impression there was a FAL process (Fetch Archive Logs) that automatically detects, retrieves and applys the missing logs from the LIVE_SITE when it sees a gap, albeit a significant one.

However, in Data Guard, when I select the LIVE_SITE database and select the "Log Files" tab, I get a ORA-16757:Resource guard could not get property" error. If you then click on "Details", you get the following:

The exception (oracle.sysman.vbo.VboInitFailureException) occurred.
    message: reason: VBO-1509 : Data source could not be updated. Please disconnect and try again.ORA-16757: Resource guard could not get property

The resulting exception output is reproduced at the bottom of this post.

What we have tried:
    1. Tried restarting the LIVE_SITE database through Data Guard which of course restarts the instance on the live site (this is hard to sanction as it affects 1000s of people, so any solution that involves this again would have to be absolutely necessary). This had no affect.

2. Tried multiple restarts of the standby server, same result.

3. In SQLNET.ora changed SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS) to SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NONE) because the only error I was noticing in the logs was an "ORA-12638: Credential retrieval failed"
    I think this is a red herring though, and unrelated to our existing problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can't get a solution within a few hours, I will have to trash the standby server and set it all up again from scratch.

Many thanks. Here is the output:

--------
    exception VboInitFailureException{long errorCode=16757;wstring reason="VBO-1509 : Data source could not be updated. Please disconnect and try again.ORA-16757: Resource guard could not get property";sequence<wstring> data={"<DO_MONITOR>\r\n <PROPERTY name=\"SendQEntries\" object_id=\"16777472\"/>\r\n</DO_MONITOR>\r\n\n\n<RESULT ><MESSAGE ><FAILURE error_num=\"16757\" error_prefix=\"ORA\"><ERROR_TEXT >ORA-16757: Resource guard could not get property\n</ERROR_TEXT></FAILURE></MESSAGE></RESULT>"};}
    at oracle.sysman.vbo.VboInitFailureExceptionHelper.re ad(VboInitFailureExceptionHelper.java:30)
    at oracle.sysman.vbo.standby._st_VboResource.getParam eters(_st_VboResource.java:272)
    at oracle.sysman.vto.standby.StandbyParamXMLTable.set upDataSource(StandbyParamXMLTable.java:179)
    at oracle.sysman.vto.standby.DBResourceLogTablePrimar y.setupDataSource(DBResourceLogTablePrimary.java:2 13)
    at oracle.sysman.vto.standby.StandbyParamTable.initia lize(StandbyParamTable.java:234)
    at oracle.sysman.vto.standby.StandbyParamPage.initial izePage(StandbyParamPage.java:607)
    at oracle.sysman.emSDK.adminObj.client.PropertyPage.o nSetActive(PropertyPage.java:241)
    at oracle.sysman.vto.VtoPropertyPage.onSetActive(VtoP ropertyPage.java:287)
    at oracle.sysman.vto.VtoPropertySheet.tabPanelSelecti onChanged(VtoPropertySheet.java:2473)
    at oracle.sysman.vto.standby.ConfigPropertySheet.tabP anelSelectionChanged(ConfigPropertySheet.java:502)
    at oracle.ewt.tabPanel.TabPanel.processTabPanelEvent( Unknown Source)
    at oracle.ewt.tabPanel.TabPanel.processEventImpl(Unkn own Source)
    at oracle.ewt.lwAWT.LWComponent.redispatchEvent(Unkno wn Source)
    at oracle.ewt.lwAWT.LWComponent.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at oracle.ewt.tabPanel.TabPanel.tabBarSelectionChange d(Unknown Source)
    at oracle.ewt.tabBar.TabBar.processTabBarEvent(Unknow n Source)
    at oracle.ewt.tabBar.TabBar.processEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.jav a:1819)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.jav a:946)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:17 51)
    at oracle.ewt.tabBar.TabBarItem.makeSelected(Unknown Source)
    at oracle.ewt.tabBar.TabBarItem.setSelected(Unknown Source)
    at oracle.ewt.tabBar.TabBarItem.mousePressed(Unknown Source)
    at oracle.ewt.tabBar.TabBar.processMouseDown(Unknown Source)
    at oracle.ewt.tabBar.TabBar.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:221 0)
    at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:901 )
    at oracle.ewt.lwAWT.LWComponent.processEventImpl(Unkn own Source)
    at oracle.ewt.tabBar.TabBar.processEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.jav a:1819)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.jav a:946)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent( Container.java:1848)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(C ontainer.java:1632)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Conta iner.java:1538)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.jav a:933)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThre ad.java:85)

<DO_MONITOR>
    <PROPERTY name="SendQEntries" object_id="16777472"/>
    </DO_MONITOR>

<RESULT ><MESSAGE ><FAILURE error_num="16757" error_prefix="ORA"><ERROR_TEXT >ORA-16757: Resource guard could not get property
    </ERROR_TEXT></FAILURE></MESSAGE></RESULT>

It looks like there is a problem with the Data Guard interface which is preventing the FAL process from resolving the archive gap.

Have you tried resolving the gap manually?
    ie. copy the archive logs across and register them using

ALTER DATABASE REGISTER LOGFILE '<path>\<filename>';

Probably need to write a script to generate the commands due to the number of archive logs.

Check the DataGuard manual

Looks like I couldn't get a solution from any forum on this one. Thanks for your suggestion, but wasn't possible to manually move any logs over to standby because I tell RMAN to delete the obsolete logs every night. Suppose I could have retrieved them all eventually from backup tapes but would have taken a long time.

I trashed the standby database and set it all up again. Was the the most efficient way around it.

Chris.