Question Unanswered: db2syscs eating memory

Gurus.

Have DB2 Worgroup edition v8.1.12.99 (s060429 <WR21368> installed in a win2003 server vmware partition. Have 4Gb memory and 2 processors allocated. Also running DB2 everyplace (v8.2.3.0) with WAS 6.1 for db synchronisation with mobile devices in the same partition.

Problem: db2syscs is eating memory and we are restarting the server twice a day since it's running low on memory and connections start to fail. From time to time the process is running at a 100% of the cpu.

We just installed fixpack 12 since a known memoryleak problem was fixed i FP10. No improvement.

Please help.

How about FP14, which is the current one?

What does db2mtrk tell you? That way you should be able to collect more details on where the leak occurs.

Also, I think you have to tell us a bit on what kind of workload you are using and if external routines are involved.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Why FP14

apart from it being the current one? Are any known memoryleak problems fixed i this FP?

The setup has only been tested with FP12, and we will need good reason to move further.

Thank you for your quick reply. I will try to ansver your questions.

The situation is this: A central System i is running core business application. Data i replicated from the System i into DB2 on the server with the problems via MQ. DB2 Everyplace is then synchronizing data with handheld devices and data gets replicated back to the System i. Memory is consumed whenever a handheld device connects to do synchronisation and never freed. Maybe there is a bug in Everyplace?

For your information: This setup is running perfectly at other locations within the business. Only main difference is that we are running on VMWare, but that should not be a problem.

I'm not sure what to look for in the db2mtrk output, so please advise.

You are probably trying to make too many connections in WAS.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Too many connections compared to what?

WAS has connection pooling, and you specify the maximum number of connections allowed. This should not exceed the the maximum number of agents defined at the DB2 instance level (dbm cfg).

You also need to make sure your applications are releasing connections when they are finished.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390