Unanswered: Running Database as Application

Could anyone shed any light on how I could change the look of my database so it looks like an application, i mean without the Access background, etc.. so my forms run as application windows and not within the database window.

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 10
    You can buy software (Such as visual studio tools 2005) which converts access in to a run-time application - which I believe removes the background etc.

However, the best way is to just put up with the backround, disable the toolbars (add custom ones) and hide the db window etc (see startup properties of the application).

Alternatively:
    Code:
    DoCmd.Maximize
    And remove the control box of the form.

Access was never meant to produce stand-alone applications. Where's Microsofts profit in that?!
    George
    Home | Blog

See attached zip file with database example

Neil,

I have attached a zip folder that has a sample shortcut, sample database and one form in it, and a .jpg image that is designed to show on the sample pop up form. If you just open the database, and if everything works as it should, the pop up form will explain what you are looking for. I have found this to be a wonderful way to run simple "utilities" for myself. But it will also work for an application as you are looking for.
    Attached Files Attached Files

many thanks guys.
    I appreciate all the help. This forum is superb!!!

Vic,

No need for an apology at all matey! I have no problem with being wrong (if you're never wrong, you're never learning!)

I'm going to go paly with your application now hopefull steal the methodology behind it too
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMansell
    many thanks guys.
    I appreciate all the help. This forum is superb!!!
    Hehe, we know
    George
    Home | Blog

I thought I was doing something very wrong before... but I wasn't using the shortcut

Very clever Vic! I never knew it could be done - hats off
    George
    Home | Blog

Vic did not invent this, but learned the technique from another forum, and has now written about 5 "utility" programs/apps for himself (me). Spell checker, cash flow analysis, popup calendar (I'm always needing a date quickly), TimeRecordKeeping (for work done for clients), and the latest, not ready yet for publication, SQL to VBA which takes a SQL string and converts it into VBA code. This is for when you need to create the SQL in VBA code, you can take the initial code from the QBE SQL view and just post it into your VBA code.

right i have turned everything off (apart from special keys) in startup options, but it still has the file edit menu at the top as well as about an inch of space to the right hand side of my main form? any idea's?

any idea on how to do this or is it a case of 'it aint possible' in access?

Neil, did you open the zipped file? That covers the whole thing, just exactly what you asked for.

yes but its not doing what i asked. it leaves the file / open menu and as a border of about 1" around my main window...

any idea's?

Are you opening it with a shortcut? If so, the shortcut must be set to Run: Minimized. If not opening with a shortcut, then make a shortcut and open it with the shortcut. That is the only way I know to run the application Minimized, and still allow the pop up form to pop up by itself, without the Access application in the background.

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi

I usually put this code in the Form_Open event on the start up form.

DoCmd.ShowToolbar "Menu Bar", acToolbarNo
    DoCmd.ShowToolbar "Form View", acToolbarNo
    DoCmd.ShowToolbar "Formatting (Datasheet)", acToolbarNo
    DoCmd.ShowToolbar "Formatting (Form/Report)", acToolbarNo
    DoCmd.ShowToolbar "Query Design", acToolbarNo
    DoCmd.ShowToolbar "Query Datasheet", acToolbarNo
    DoCmd.ShowToolbar "Print Preview", acToolbarNo

This disabled all the toolbars/menues listed (and hides the menu bar).

MTB