Question Unanswered: forewer problem with linked server

Hello everyone,
    I have a trouble to create linked server from sql 2000 to dbase files.
    dbase IV files located on the windows 2000 machine on netware (Nowell network). I do not have such problem if I copy dbase (.dbf) files to the same box where sql server resides, but I desperately need that linked server to the shared folder with dbase files on the network. I have tried all possible settings on the security tab, nothing helps.

I will appreciate any suggestions.

Ann2

Provided Answers: 11
    Does the SQL Server box need to be able to "speak novell"? Try this test. Log into the SQL Server box (console or remote desktop), and see if you can see files on the Windows 2000 machine. If not, then you may need to add the Novell cleint to the network properties of your SQL 2000 box. I have never done this before, so this is a shot in the dark.

MCrowley,

Thank you for your answer. Yes, I can see the files from sql 2000 box. I can open windows explore and see the files. I can map the drive to the files. I created the ODBC connection on that box where I specified file location through browsing to the folder.

Red face

I was wrong about the dbase file locations. They are not on windows 2000. They are straight on Nowell netware.
    I can easy create a dts package where I see the files with dbase connection and can select/insert/...
    However linked server does not see the files.
    Any ideas?