Unanswered: Database Dumps (Perl vs. KShell)

Dear all,

From my experience, I've found that many companys have the standard KShell scripts to do daily and weekly maintanence tasks. Then with more advance work they have chosen to use Perl. So I have the following questoins...

1) Is it worth the trouble to convert the KShell scripts over to Perl (database dumps, dbcc's, update stats, etc.)?

2) Is there anywhere that I can find prewritten / shareware KShell or Perl scripts for database dumps, dbcc's, update stats, etc.?

I'm stepping into a new environment and have found that they don't even have the standard/common KShell scripts for daily/weekly maintenance. I'd hate to re-invent the wheel and write these scripts from scratch.

What are your thoughts? Is there any place that I can find them on the internet?

I found one website, but wanted to run it by you guys to see what thought. So far it seems to be a great website and resource. The URL is...

http://www.edbarlow.com/

Thanks a million for your help and feedback.

Mark

Free Dump Scrips

My free backup scripts (at www.edbarlow.com) are the only ones i know of

They are well used and should do everything you care about provided its not a very large db (ie. provided you can dump it to disk).

Once upon a time i had a shell script version - but shell can be contorted for basic operations and it relies on isql which does not have a reasonable error handler. Nothing wrong with using shell script one liners for backups - provided you dont really care if the backups actually succeed. I prefer perl tho - you have all the source readily available in case of problems and the advantage that its actually a programming language.

Cheers
    Ed
    Last edited by happyed; 04-02-07 at 14:49.

Arrow If you wish to script backups, you want my plugin

My not so free backup plugin can help you a lot. It comes with a command-line utility, which produces dumps on its stdout, and exits with a non-zero code, should a dump fail...

It can help you perform a direct server-to-server transfer, and other fancy things, for which dumping to a file first is normally required...

Thank you for your help...

Thank you both for your help. I greatly appreciate the time you both set aside. I'm reviewing your websites now. Ultimately, my goal is to get a good understanding on how to install your components/scripts.

I'm very impressed with Ed's GEM tool and database dump scripts. I'm trying to better understand where I would install them for our Sybase intall / servers (what directory). In addition, what needs type of configurations or impact it may have on the environment. This is needed, becuase I will have to justify their implementation to our UNIX support team and have to prove that they pose no risk to our production environment.

I'm also impressed with 'pipe' and sybdump utility. I'm trying to get my head around what needs to be done in order to successfully install / implement. In addition, better understand the type of functionality it provides. In addition, I will have to justify their implementation to our UNIX support team and have to prove that they pose no risk to our production environment.

Again, thank you both for your feedback and guidance. We are having to start from scratch and want to do the best I can to get us up and running in the shortest timeframe possible (implement daily maintenance and backup scripts).

Best regards,

Mark

there are more Sybase freebie stuff available at http://www.rocket99.com/techref/

Thank you for your posting...

Just took a look at the site and found a lot of great stuff.

Thank you,

Mark

DBA scripts and procedures...

Ed,

Just want to thank you for sharing... I've been working on getting all of this setup in our environment and all is going well.

I'm starting from scratch to build our Sybase environment and your work has truly turned out to be a life saver. Thank you.

Mark