Provided Answers: 19

Unanswered: Two forms showing with acCmdAppMinimize?

I'd like to use acCmdAppMinimize with two forms on the screen at once. Currently, if I have a form opening the db (with DoCmd.Maximize in the OnLoad event) and then a popup form on top of the first form, the first form vanishes when the second form appears. Does anyone have any relevant experience?

Thanks!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Don't understand where acCmdAppMinimize comes into this situation. It sounds like your first form is maximized, the second for is a popup and the first form should stay in view when the popup form is opened above the first, maximized form. Is that Maximized for disappearing when the second, popup form runs the adCmdAppMinimize?

Could you give us some more information about what things are being done in the second form when it opens. Also, what is happening in the code that opens the pop up form?

You've described the situation exactly, Vic! And the popup form really does nothing but sit there when it opens. The important thing to understand is that if the acCmdAppMinimize is left out of the mix, the two forms perform as expected/desired, with the popup sitting on top of the maximized form. It's only when acCmdAppMinimize is added that the first, maximized form disappears. I halfway think that this is the normal behaviour for this command; that, in fact, it's only designed to show one form at a time. I was hoping someone here actualy knew whethjer that was true or not. I've trolled the net and gone thru all my reference books without any success. So much of Access isn't really documented anywhere!

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

The only way to have the application minimized, but have one or more forms open is to have the application open as minimized, and have a form opened as the form to open when the application opens to be a pop up form. So, the things for you to do to get your two forms open with the application minimized would be to not open the first form maximized (because for a pop up form that will fill the whole screen (unless that is what you want.)). But you will need to make that first form a popup form. So, with the first form a popup form, make sure it does not maximize itself, and open the application with a shortcut that has the Run option box set to Minimize, that should work. It worked for me in my test. For a sample of this, go to my website (link in my signature) and look at the Access Tips page. You will find the download link at the bottom of the Tips page.

Changing the maximized "backdrop" form to popup was all that was needed! It works as expected now! BTW, with it setup like this and using the acCmdAppMinimize command, it opens this way regardless of whether the shortcut is set to open in Normal Window mode or Minimized!

Thanks again! I'll post the answer on other forums where I've posted the problem and credit you with the solution!

Linq
    Hope this helps!

When I execute the acCmdAppMinimize, the pop up forms disappear too. So, I'm interested, what release of Access are you using (I'm using 2002 (XP))? Also, where is the acCmdAppMinimize command issued? I did it with a button on the first form.

Actually, Vic, I just realized that when I changed the first (backdrop form) to popup, I commented the acCmdAppMinimize command out of both! With both forms set to popup and everything unchecked in Startup, I got the effect I was looking for, one form on top of the other in a very minimal container that actually looks like a Visual BAsic program.

I'm running Access 2000, and when I was using the acCmdAppMinimize command, I tried it in every conceivable permutation in the OnLoad and OnOpen events of both forms. I think the nature ofthe command is that it hides everything except the form it's called from.
    Hope this helps!

So, Access is actually behind the first form, because the first form is filling the entire screen. At least that is what it sounds like. But one thing you said I don't understand is the "in a very minimal container that actually looks like a Visual Basic program." What is this "very minimal container"?

What is this "very minimal container"?
    Backdrop form fills the screen, with the smaller form centered, and just the title bar showing the application title, as entered in Startup. There's not even an icon identifying the program as being an Access app.
    Hope this helps!

Now I understand. If you use the shortcut method, you don't see any of the Access "container". Because I use this method for a few utilities I have, that is what I wanted, in that only the form pops up, and no Access "container". I have not timed it, but it seems to come up much quicker than when Access has to display itself on the screen.

Yes, and a lot of the user population I work with are Luddites; the less they see of the underpinings, so to speak, the less intimidated they are!

Thanks again for your help!

Linq
    Hope this helps!