Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Party Animals System

I am new to database design & development....here i got a question and i got no hint...pls guide me how to start this.

Your company has been commissioned to provide an on-line clubbing/party service for dedicated impromptu party goers called Quorum. Quorum parties can take place in established named venues (pubs and clubs), in peoples homes, even fields. It is a business rule that all parties must take place at a location with a postcode. The service will have a web presence, but will primarily be delivered via small mobile devices (e.g. Mobile Phones and PDA’s). Here’s how it will work. When three or more persons (a quorum) who are signed up to the service (Quorum member) are gathered in a single place, text alerts start appearing on any signed up member within a given radius, indicating they should head on down to the party. As parties become more populated, the radius of text messaging will expand. When parties reach a certain critical mass (indicated by people leaving as soon as they arrive), the text messages will begin to describe way-station locations (nearby locations where parties have emerged in the past) and redirect crowds to those locations, effectively forming satellite parties to the original event.

The service will be free to standard members, but commercial subscribers (drinks /food providers, bands, freelance bouncers) will also sign up to find out where the next party is.
    Commercial subscribers may promote venues and may send messages to participants offer incentives to come to their club to get a quorum established – although the present system will only allow them to issue invitations in three categories – discount, offer (such as free drink), information only (where no special offer takes place). Commercial subscribers may be associated with a number of venues and some may own other commercial subscribers.
    Note: for simplicity assume there is only one level of ownership in commercial subscriptions (i.e. one level nesting).

Standard Quorum members receive alerts telling them only the location of the party and need only provide their basic contact details. Quorum members who regularly attend large parties automatically become full members. Full members must submit some detailed biographical information (including their date of birth, contact address). Furthermore, full members who regularly start big parties are called “Party Animals”. Party animals may also list their musical and food preferences. Occasionally party animals get discounted (even free) subscription charges, but you should note that whether a person is a “party animal” or not is determined by the system, not the customer. You should keep track of when a full member became a party animal.

Full members can also become gold members. This is based on one condition and a number of business factors. The condition is that they should regularly bring more than two people to parties they attend. The business factors are the duration of membership and number of parties attended. Gold members are rated as one star, two stars or three stars depending on the above business factors. Full members can be a party animals and gold members at the same time.

Members will interact with the system online. You are to design and build a database system to support this service. The system will be developed further at a later stage to provide a prototype web front end for certain specific operations. Although you are not required to build this web front end, you are required to make provision for the extra required local information about members and partied they attended.

Please note: The system providing geographical information and calculating when parties are occurring will be provided by others (i.e. outside the scope of the system). They will update your system when parties occur and who is attending – you must simply provide relations for them to update (however you may need to fill in some dummy data to test your system).

I need to start drawing ER diagrams....but i dont know where to start!

sorry, we don't do homework assignments on this site

if you wish to post an ER diagram, as other students have done, with specific questions about specific parts of it, you might get some feedback
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Quote Originally Posted by kit_cool
    I generally work from left to right...
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

i want to start ER diagram but i dnt no where to start pls giv me assistance with the same project of PARTY ANIMALS SYSTEMS

Quote Originally Posted by pista View Post
    i want to start ER diagram but i dnt no where to start pls giv me assistance with the same project of PARTY ANIMALS SYSTEMS

sorry, we don't do homework assignments on this site

if you wish to post an ER diagram, as other students have done, with specific questions about specific parts of it, you might get some feedback
    you possibly missed this part of the thread when you resurrected it
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Quote Originally Posted by kit_cool View Post
    Start by analyzing the description. What are the things talked about and how are those things related?

Also, read the other posts in here, and look at the replies and diagrams.

Did u manage ?

no um still struggling

what have you done so far?
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

i have managed to identify the major entities pls help m um behide um submitn by 12 Aprial

i understand you have managed to identify the major entities

did you have a specific question?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

now wher do i start drawing the ERD dats wher um stuck......................

this is not going to end well...
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Here, I'll throw you a bone. "A party is held at a single named venue, which has a single location with a postcode." Now, my diagram may not be exactly accurate, I didn't open any of my books to verify, so check it or take a gamble. Of course, you'll need to expand on it a lot to cover all the detail in the question.

Now it's time for you to put in some effort - even if you screw it up completely, at least we'll have something to comment on. If not, so be it. I got my degree, I don't need to do this again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails quorumerd.gif  

at leat nw i understand can u explain me furthr 4 membership ENTITY cause mY MOJOR entities are QUORUM,attrbt being quorum name,no of ppls MEMBERSHIP ,SUSCRIBERS,INVITATION,SERVICES actually wher um stuck is hw to break down the membership entity can u pls help with major entities pls