Provided Answers: 4

Question Unanswered: ASE unattended install: no serialnumber?

When I finally got the unattended installation of ASE 12.5 to work properly, I noticed that the serial-number is never asked for.
    The installation seems to work properly though.

If an installation can work properly without a serialnumber, then why is it asked for in the GUI-install?
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!

you need it to enable the add-on options. You also need it to keep away the compliance audits from Sybase sales.

I would be happy to use my faithfully purchased serial in an unattended install if it is possible. My company does not use any add-on options, so if I have a serial, but I have not used it in the installation, does that still count as legitimate?

which is something I have done in the past as well. Do unattended installs and then push the license.dat file separately to the target $SYBASE/$SYBASE_SYSAM.

have the lmgrd daemon startup in your cron and this should pick up the license next time you restart ASE.

You kind of lost me there. I forgot to mention that I use Windows-boxes, not Unix. Is there any documentation on this topic? It'll take some time for you to explain thing I'm afraid, no doubt you can spend that time in a better way.

I believe on windows SYSAM gets registered as a service when you install Sybase.

Once the unattaneded install is complete, I assume that you are doing this for many machines. Just write a script to puch the license.txt file to the %SYBASE%\%SYBASE_SYSAM%\licenses folder.

If this is just a single machine install, run the %SYBASE%\%SYBASE_SYSAM%\bin\lmgr.bat and enter your registration details.

This should do it.

I think I'll make that work. Thanks for the advice!