Question Unanswered: ERROR 1223: Can't execute the query because you have a conflicting read lock

Hi guys,
    I'm currently working on a JDBC project, I have one page which has a SELECT * FROM table to retrieve column headers - This is a JDBC transaction

But my next page contains an insert - However when I try to insert into the table I get: ERROR 1223: Can't execute the query because you have a conflicting read lock

I have tried "UNLOCK TABLES" and I have set permissions with the user as Select in the User table, and everything except GRANT in the db table.

I'm using version 4.024, and I have a dev machine which is the same, however the dev machine works fine, but my other machine just throws this error at me!

I have tried the insert at command line with the same user and I get the same error.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? And How to solve the problem?
    Thanks and best regards
    Dareet.

What you have done is start a transaction, done a READ LOCK select on a table, and then tried to insert into when its locked in the same transaction. Use seperate transactions...

You may find your production server has a different MySQL setup with read locks set on by default (if that is possible?)

Thanks guys but the problem was my mistake - It was a snapshot server which I have put into read-only mode in the "my.cnf"
    Sorted it now - Thanks anyway guys
    Best regards
    Dareet