Unanswered: Locking Table While Insert

Hi,
    I want to insert a record in a table having an identity column as primary key. I want to lock the table while inserting. so that no one should be able to insert, select, update, delete from the table. and once my insert is over, then will release the lock.

Can I have the code for the same. M using SQL SERVER 2005.

Thanks,
    Rahul Jha

Provided Answers: 1
    Why why why why why?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Because while more than 1 user is trying to insert at the same time, there should not be any clash of Identity.........

Thanks,
    Rahul Jha

No one is here to help me out................. Kindly Help.........

Quote Originally Posted by DBA_Rahul
    Because while more than 1 user is trying to insert at the same time, there should not be any clash of Identity.........
    You don't have to worry about that; that won't happen.

Are you sure that won't happen? That means the table will be locked when any Insert or Update operation is happening? rgt?

Thanks,
    Rahul Jha

Quote Originally Posted by DBA_Rahul
    Are you sure that won't happen? That means the table will be locked when any Insert or Update operation is happening? rgt?
    It means that an Identity column will never generate the same number twice.

OK, Given a different scenario, what if there si no identity column in the table and then I am trying to insert the record with out locking the table?

Thanks,
    Rahul Jha

Provided Answers: 6
    then you do not have to worry about duplicate identities.

what no one is trying to explain to you is that MS SQL Server's locking scheme is quite adequate for the vast majority of situations. If you establish an exclusive lock on the whole table, all you will accomplish is the blocking of over spids trying to read that table and you will encounter nasty performace problems. You should do some reading about how SQL Server handles locking. The Inside SQL Server 2005 series of books goes into grueling detail. Also check BOL.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.