Unanswered: Sql Server 2005 Project

Hi,
    Can we create a project in 2005 so that i can run the EXE on a different server and the schema will be created?

Thanks,
    Rahul Jha

Quote Originally Posted by DBA_Rahul
    Hi,
    Can we create a project in 2005 so that i can run the EXE on a different server and the schema will be created?

Thanks,
    Rahul Jha
    Can you please clarify? Did you mean to say "create a project in [Visual Studio 2005]/[SQL Server 2005]"...

"run the EXE on a different server and the schema will be created"
    Do you mean you want some sort of installation routine that will create an empty schema when first run?

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

yes............

SSMS has no deployment capability for databases.

You could easily turn this app into something like that though: http://www.elsasoft.org/tools.htm

it's a console app that scripts out all objects in a 2000 or 2005 schema. The download includes a bat file that executes all the scripts to create an empty schema. You could use the bat file as a sort of installer.

I use it as an autobuilder that finds build breaks in our source control system early.

Rahul,

You can use OSQL utility and batch files to create databases for testing and release purposes. Have you done it ?

Let me know if you want more info on it.

Thanks,

Hari Haran Arulmozhi

I guess, eh hope, that the schema should be created in it's own database. One solution would be to have a copy of an empty and detached database, and copy the database files and attach them during setup. Please ensure that you ask the user where he want the files to be placed, and it would be nice if the default path appeared automagically. This should not be too much of a job.
    Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - MSSQL.no - Facebook - Twitter