Unanswered: Corrupted Log Backup

Hi..!

Is it possible to recover data from corrupted log backup ?

Suppose we have 10 log files and 8th is corrupted then how can we recover database.

I am not facing such problem right now, but it's a question raised in my mind.

I would like to have your help, suggestions & comments.

Thanks...
    Rajesh Patel

Everybody says - mistake is the first step of success, but it's not true. The correction of the mistake is the first step of success.

Quote Originally Posted by rajeshpatel
    Hi..!

Is it possible to recover data from corrupted log backup ?

Suppose we have 10 log files and 8th is corrupted then how can we recover database.

I am not facing such problem right now, but it's a question raised in my mind.

I would like to have your help, suggestions & comments.

Thanks...
    If the 8th log file is corrupt, then you would only be able to recover to the end of the 7th log file. It's (remotely) possible that you might be able to recover to some mid-point within the 8th log file using point-in-time recovery, but I would not count on it.

Personally, I always try to configure my production environment to do nightly full backups of all the databases and hourly transaction logs. I try to keep two full backups on disk, plus enough transaction log files to recover from the oldest full backup. I am now using a backup compression utility which speeds the process and shrinks the files making storage a non-issue. The only exception is a medium-large database that I have (300+ GB) that I backup weekly (storage capacity being the main factor in limiting backup frequency).

Remember to:
    1. Practice various recovery scenarios
    2. Periodically check the validity/recoverability of various backup media (disk/tape).
    3. Write down your recovery strategy and file it away somewhere.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Thanks...
    Rajesh Patel

Everybody says - mistake is the first step of success, but it's not true. The correction of the mistake is the first step of success.