Thread: Rollforward

Unanswered: Rollforward

AIX 5.3
    DB2 8.2

If I preserve current DB2 transaction logs, then do a complete system restore at the operating system level, and then copy back DB2 transaction logs dated after the system restore, would I then be able to roll forward from the transactions in these logs or can a rollforward of transacion logs only occur after a DB2 restore?

Thanks.

For OS level restore how was the backup taken? If the db was stopped when you took the backup, when you restore OS, db is in a consistent state(NOT in rollforward pending state); I think you need restore to rollforward;
    mota

The database would be in a consistent state after this OS restore, but I am curious if I could still rollforward to a desired point in time like I believe I can do after an offline DB2 backup is restored.

I think you have to use WITHOUT ROLLINGFORWARD option of restore when you restore an offline backup. Please let me know if you can do otherwise.In Oracle, if you donot OPEN a db, it can be rolled forward.
    mota

My original question is still unanswered. Can I rollforward from an OS level restore?

No ...

Rollforward can be done only if the database/tablespace is in rollforward pending state ..
    A database/tablespace is put in rollforward pending state only by a database restore ..
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.