Wink Unanswered: how to work out length of employement?

hi! i have table called employee. in there i have the fields

startDate Date,
    lengthOfEmployement number(5),

i want to work out the lenghtOfEmployement but when i try the code

Code:
    insert into employee values(
    1001, 7777, 'John', 'Smith', '12', 'Woodcock', 'Cheshunt', 'Hertfordshire', 
     'ER3RR3', '01233433456', '12-03-1999', round(sysdate - startdate), 100101);
    it gives me an error 'column not allowed'. how can i work out the lenghtOfEmployement within that field.
    thanks!

Provided Answers: 4
    Don't INSERT, UPDATE!
    Code:
    UPDATE employee SET
      lengthOfEmployement = ROUND(SYSDATE - startdate);
    However, storing computed values in a table is not a very good idea. "Number of days" is about to change every day and there's really no purpose in doing that.

ok thanks. but have u got any ideas how i could improve this then? can i have it calculate only the months then. this would be more sensible.

Provided Answers: 4
    No, it wouldn't.

This information isn't worth much. What would you do with it in a table, anyway? Select it and display in a report? If so, calculate it when the report is run. Otherwise, you'd first have to update a table (which might take a while if a table is large) and then display the result in a report.

Once again: do not store such information in a table - calculate it whenever needed.

Littlefoot is totally correct. When you need the years of service (for example), simply compute it during the select.

SELECT FLOOR(MONTHS_BETWEEN(SYSDATE,STARTDATE))/12) YEARS
    FROM EMPLOYEE;
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.