Unanswered: SQL Server Mobile

Hi,

I have created an SQL Server Mobile Database, is it possible to ODBC to it by creating a new data source, under admin tools in Windows XP?

Cheers

I guess you mean SQL Server Compact Edition, as far as I know there is no such thing as SQL Server Mobile. As far as I've understood, SQL Server Compact Edition is not a database server, but rather a framework to be used within an application, and thus I would sincerely doubt that you can connect to it through ODBC or similar technologies.
    Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - MSSQL.no - Facebook - Twitter

it definitely exists: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/aa336364.aspx (I think they just changed the name for 2005)

I've never used it. my understanding though, is that it's not a server application - a pocketpc or mobile phone hardly has the horsepower to act as a server

so normally you would only connect to it as a local instance, from a separate app installed on the mobile device (a "todo list" app, for example). I suppose you could do so with ODBC if you have an ODBC driver installed on your phone. But the ms recommended way to talk to it would be through the .net (compact) framework.

Well, the documentation is just out of sync. It's named SQL Server Compact Edition in 2005, and SQL Server CE in 2000. SQL Server Mobile was just one of the many suggested names for this product, along with SQL Server Everywhere and others

It would definitely be cool if it should happen to be an ODBC driver for SQL Server Compact Edition. Unfortunatly, a quick search on Google suggests it's not. Actually, there is a specific Connection Manager for SQL Server Compact Edition databases in SQL Server Integratin Services. If an ODBC driver existed, it would not be neccessary to create a special connection manager as well. Keep in mind, SQL Server Compact Edition is an embedded database, not a database server.
    Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - MSSQL.no - Facebook - Twitter

Ok cheers, Ill have a think about another way around this.