Unanswered: Unicode in Sybase ASE

Hi,

I want to craete a user in chinese and japanese characters in Sybase ASE. Can anyone of you tell me how to enable unicode support in Sybase ASE

Quote Originally Posted by pankajsingh
    Hi,

I want to craete a user in chinese and japanese characters in Sybase ASE. Can anyone of you tell me how to enable unicode support in Sybase ASE
    Have you already build the server with utf8 charset?
    If not you have to build it from scratch (or migrate, but this is painful)

Unicode in sybase

Hi,

Will you please tell me how to build the sybase server in unicode.

More details are needed...

I'm working and living in Japan. I support many servers that use English, Japanese and Chinese characters. Every server is built using Sybase's default character set and sort order.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Character Set = 1, iso_1
    ISO 8859-1 (Latin-1) - Western European 8-bit character set.
    Sort Order = 50, bin_iso_1
    Binary ordering, for the ISO 8859/1 or Latin-1 character set (
    iso_1).

In order to better help you, please specify your specific requirements...

For example...

CASE 01: Need to add a field in an existing table that can hold double byte caracters (i.e. a persons name from China or Japan).

Solution 01: Use a system datatypes for the column definition.

* unichar(n) - Unicode character - n*@@unicharsize (@@unicharsize equals 2)

* univarchar(n) - Unicode character varying - Actual number of characters * @@unicharsize

NOTE: Please refer to the below URLs...
    http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebook...eric__BookView

http://manuals.sybase.com:80/onlineb...83;pt=3571/*#X

Hope this is helpful...

If you want your entire server to support double byte character sets / or UNICODE... that is a completely different ball game. I will advise further if that is your requirement, but the explanations is significantly a more lengthy one. It's more than just installing the approriate character set and sort order. It also requires hardware planning, compatible IDE / IAE tools, etc.
    Last edited by ftmjr; 05-24-07 at 23:00.

give this a read...

aChapter 5: Post-Installation Tasks
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installing character sets
    By default, when Adaptive Server and Backup Server are installed on HP systems, the installation installs the character set files for Roman8 which supports the Western European languages.

WARNING! If you plan to use Java features or jConnect, you must install the iso_1 character set. Roman8 does not support Java.

In addition, the installation defaults include sort-order definition files for Western European character sets and U.S. English system message files.

If you want Adaptive Server error messages to display in a language other than U.S. English (us_english), you must install the appropriate language module.

WARNING! Make all changes to the default character set and sort order for a new Adaptive Server before creating any user databases or making any changes to the Sybase-supplied databases. Changing the character set and sort order after data or data structures have been added to Adaptive Server can cause incorrect behavior. To change the character set or sort order after you have added data, see the System Administration Guide.

A full install of Adaptive Server installs all the language components automatically. If you did not select a full install, you must install additional language modules manually.

Installing new language modules

Install the language modules into the same directory where you installed Adaptive Server.

Each language uses about 2MB of database space per module. If necessary, use the alter database command to increase the size of the master database before adding another language. For more information, see the System Administration Guide.

Use charset to load the default character set and sort order.

Use charset only at the time of installation. For alternative methods, see the Localization chapter in Configuring Adaptive Server Enterprise for your platform.

To use charset, the server must be running and you must have System Administrator privileges. Use the file name of the sort order:

$SYBASE/SYBASE_ASE/bin/charset -Usa -Ppassword
    -Sserver_name sort_order_file character_set

Replace sort_order_file with the name of the sort order file. Replace character_set with the Sybase name for your character set.

Use charset to load any additional character sets. See Table 5-2 for charset syntax.

Table 5-2: charset syntax Syntax
    charset [sort_order_file | charset.loc] charset_directory

Usage
    charset
    [ -U username ]
    [ -P password ]
    [ -S server ]
    [ -I interfaces ]
    [ -v version ]
    [sort_order_file | charset.loc ]
    [ charset_directory ]

Installing character-set definition files

If you plan to use the Adaptive Server built-in character-set conversions, you must load the character-set definition files for all the character sets on your client platforms. If you are using the Unilib character-set conversions, you do not need to do this.

Using isql, log in to your server as “sa” and select the master database.

1> use master
    2> go

Use the ID of the sort order to configure your server for the new character set and sort order.

1> sp_configure "default sort_order_id",
    2> sort_order_id, "character_set"
    3> go

Replace sort_order_id with the ID for your sort order. Replace character_set with the Sybase name for your character set.

Shut down the server to start the reconfiguration process.

Use the normal process on your UNIX system to restart the server, usually by invoking one of the RUN_xxx scripts from $SYBASE/$SYBASE_ASE/install.

The server starts, rebuilds all the system indexes, then shuts down. Restart a second time to bring the server up in a stable state.

To change the default character set and sort order of Adaptive Server after the initial installation, see the System Administration Guide.

sp_configure ''Unicode''

Hey... Hope you were able to find the answers to your questions.

Just a quick thing to run by you... I too am curious to learn what you were able to find concerning Unicode.

I've been looking into this myself since I work at a Japanese Bank in Tokyo. As I stated in my prior posting, we use Sybase's default character set and sort order and have no issues supporting Japanese and Chinese characters.

I'm thinking that the default ASE install already supports Unicode.

Character Set = 1, iso_1
    ISO 8859-1 (Latin-1) - Western European 8-bit character set.
    Sort Order = 50, bin_iso_1
    Binary ordering, for the ISO 8859/1 or Latin-1 character set (
    iso_1).

If you use the sp_configure system stored procedure and pass it the parameter of "Unicode", well... it seems to reflect that Unicode is already supported as a default / a part of the server configuration.

For example... type...

sp_configure "Unicode"

Review the output and then share with me your thoughts on what you see.

I look forward to your feedback and ideas.

P.S. Please, if anyone else wants to weigh in on this as well, please feel free. Thank you.