Unanswered: Management Studio auto-connection

Is there any way to connect to a server automatically when SQL Server 2005 Management Studio starts?

I know it's not that tough to click 'Connect', but it's getting a bit annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdler
    Is there any way to connect to a server automatically when SQL Server 2005 Management Studio starts?

I know it's not that tough to click 'Connect', but it's getting a bit annoying.
    Hmmm...not sure exactly what is different, but whenever I start SSMS, I get a connection box right at the beginning (with a drop down box to select the server to which I wish to connect).

One thing that I vaguely recall (I installed SSMS more than 6 months ago) is that I had to select the option to View | Registered Servers) from the tool bar at the top.

HTH,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Quote Originally Posted by hmscott
    Hmmm...not sure exactly what is different, but whenever I start SSMS, I get a connection box right at the beginning (with a drop down box to select the server to which I wish to connect).

One thing that I vaguely recall (I installed SSMS more than 6 months ago) is that I had to select the option to View | Registered Servers) from the tool bar at the top.

HTH,

hmscott
    Yeah, I get that too, and it's no big deal to just hit 'Connect', but Enterprise Manager would just maintain a list of servers I had connected to.

OK, figured out an acceptable solution

First, I turned on the Registered Servers option from the View menu

Second, I set Tools->Options->'At Startup' to 'Empty Environment'

So now when I start up SSMS, I can just double-click on the registered server and it opens in the object explorer.

Not quite as easy as EM, but good enough.