Unanswered: Automatically attach a report as a PDF into my email

Im currently using a function (that is executed with a click of a button) that selects a report and converts it to a .snp format. Then, it creates a new email and attaches the snapshot file without saving the file in a temp table.

However, not all my customers has snapshot viewer installed. So I would like to change it to PDF.

I would like to have the same capability to click a button that converts a report to a PDF and attaches it automatically to a new email.

Do I need to get any software to be able to convert and attach the report to PDF on the fly without saving the file in a temp table?

Or is it safer to save the file in a temp table first?

Thank you
    Joe

Provided Answers: 10
    The SendObject and OutputTo commands in Access supports the following output formats:
    Rich Text Format
    MS Excel 97-03
    Text File
    MS Excel 5-7
    HTML
    Snapshot Format

Which suggests that you should save the file in a temp folder then convert to PDF and then send it via e-mail attachment.

But I could be wrong
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 59
    if only it were that easy. it is in the PHP world where you can create PDf files on the file, bung em in an email and jobsagoodun....
    you need some software to convert a report into a PDF, all of these cost money, yes there are freeware versions out there but in my experience these either are watermarked or have limited / not working fucntionality. I know that Scansoft/Nuance were pushing a $50 PDF converter package recently.. perhaps that will do what you want.

I use the full PDF product from Adobe, works as a printer
    you select the printer, print the report. however it does require manual intervention to tell pdf writer what to use as a filename, where to store all the stuff. mebbe its moved on from version 5......

there are some OCX & DLL's out there that may do exactly what you want, Ive not used them recently. one OCX I saw required you to install Ghostscript (a EPS interpreter), and essentially was a massive waste of time.

Personally I think PDF's are a very good route to go down, especially if you have to have some form backup of the document.. you can always store the URL to the PDF file. makes facing down customers or suppliers a breeze when you have the document right in front of you on the screen, that can be sent by fax or email whilst talking to the errant accounts department. Yes I know that in these modern paperless offices we shouldnt need to do that, but thats not the point, sometimes customers want a hard copy, their customers want to see a printed version of the invoice/statement before they'll cough up the cash.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I understand that PDF is the right way, and Im willing to pay for a better version. However, I would like to have the option to click a button that converts a report to a PDF and attaches it automatically to a new email. I do not want to select file/Print/select the PDF drive then attach it manually, and then, change back the Printer drive to the regular.

What would be my next step?
    Thanks

Provided Answers: 10
    API call?

I can't think of any way to do that within Access.
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 59
    I think you need to investigate whether the current version of PDF writer or whatever its called supports waht you want, failing that Id look at the various third part controls, OCX's, DLL's or whatever.

perhaps you might start by concisely writing down what your requirements are then sending 'em to the prospective suppliers and see if they meet your requirements.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton