Unanswered: Any backup vendor can provide?

Some of my customers ask for backup their databases, mainly MSSQL & MS Exchange.
    I search for any of backup vendor; there are 2 choices, service provider and software publisher. Service provider eliminates my technical support on backing up my clients databases ; software publisher offer a chance for me to create new business line .
    What would your gurus prefer and why?
    Any admirable company you can name?

Provided Answers: 1
    I back up MSSQL using MSSQL backup procedures.
    MS Exchange is not a database server, so I don't know the best way to back it up.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Thanks blindman.
    How about the servers are Windows-based, some are Linux-based?

As Blindman says, the easiest and best way to back up SQL databases is by using the built-in backup utilities that come with SQL Server.

Your server support team might want to include SQL Server boxes as part of their backup routine, in which case there are various applications that typically use an Agent to backup SQL Server databases either at a database or filesystem level, e.g. Veritas, Legato, Litespeed.

Bottom line; you as a DBA should be in charge of your database backups.

Lempster

I have the same issue. However, FreeBSD adds to my heterogeneous environment.

I was sourcing for such a solution earlier. I gathered info from other forums and identified some data backup solutions targeting ISPs and web hosting businesses like ours. Here’s a list which I’ve evaluated:

1. NovaNet (www.novastor.com)
    2. Ahsay (www.ahsay.com)
    3. Storgrid (www.vembu.com)
    4. RBS (www.remote-backup.com)

Only Storegrid and Ahsay are multi-platform. I was lured into NovaNet with its attractive look. However, once I tested it on my server, I was disappointed with its instability. RBS is another piece of crappy software.

In the end I went with Ahsay and was pretty satisfied with it. Back up and restore worked as it says on the tin.