Unanswered: Changing Msgbox button labels

Is there a way to change the vbYesNo buttons to read Update and Cancel?

Also, a way to have a messagebox popup for xxx secs (and close without user intervention)?

Provided Answers: 10
    Why not change your messagebox text, instead of changing the button captions:
    Code:
    Dim x
        x = MsgBox("Do you want to update?", vbYesNo)

If x = vbYes Then
            MsgBox ("You clicked yes")
        ElseIf x = vbNo Then
            MsgBox ("You clicked no")
        End If
    And as far as I am aware you cannot close a messagebox programmatically. Have you thought about changing it to a form with a timer event?
    George
    Home | Blog

i have done the option above, just wondered if i could change the buttons from YES and NO to my own words.

And yes I have thought about a Form on a timer, just wondered if there was an easier way via VB.

Provided Answers: 10
    I have never come across a way of changing the MsgBox button captions, I just change my text so I can give it a standard answer. However, if you come across a way, I'd love to know how you do it!

And once again, I don't know of any way to do this, a MsgBox is meant to do what it's meant to do, you can't change it's properties much.

I'd create a form to mimic the MsgBox and then you can add your "Update" button and a timer event!
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 59
    I don't think you can within a message box, unless you want to dabble in the dark arts of calling the windows API directly, which unless you have to use UPDATE & CANCEL Id strongly reccomend you avoid that. One of Access's strengths (and weaknesses) is that it shelters you from a lot of the windows API calls.

you could fake a message box by pulling up a modal dialog with the buttons you require, but why?

you could put the buttons you want onto the main form and enable/disable as required
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

thanks guys. i just wondered if it could be done in VB rather than using forms and normal msgbox command... i will do it the long way round hehe

Thanks for your help.

Yeah - you are getting into the murky world of sub classing if you want to start playing with the innards of message boxes. I got a little beyond what is posted here but tbh it just wasn't worth the effort for what I wanted.
    http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?t=1605962

Go with the bespoke form - more flexible and much easier to change. I assure you - sub classing is the long way round.

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Actually, I have got loads more references for api hooks into the message box class now I look again. **IF** you get your head round the Ray Mercer link then let me know and I will post the other info. Doubt you will though...
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.