Unanswered: Access not asking to save in design mode

I have a user that is running Access 97. If they open a database then open a form, make any change and exit the form, access never asks if they want to save the modification. If another user opens the same database and makes a change they ARE prompted to save the change. Does anyone know what workstation specific setting is causing this behavior? The user accidentally modified a form and didn't relieve it before the form went into production. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Get the user to run:

Code:

DoCmd.SetWarnings True
    and then make a change and see what happens.

If it works - you might have a stray bit of code setting this to off but not back to on again.

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

That was the first thing I thought of and the user insists that they are not running any code, only opening the form then opening the form, modifying it slightly and clicking the close box. On their machine it saved the change, on mine it asks if I want to save. This must be a setting in the register or some ini file, but I can't find anything.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by beilstwh
    That was the first thing I thought of and the user insists that they are not running any code, only opening the form then opening the form, modifying it slightly and clicking the close box. On their machine it saved the change, on mine it asks if I want to save. This must be a setting in the register or some ini file, but I can't find anything.

what you trust your users to make changes to forms.. you give them design rights?

and perhaps even more scarily you trust what your users tell you they have done as opposed to what you have found out for yourself, or tried to track the event cascade that caused the problem?

in shoes Id want to check that you don't use set warnings on/off. it may be worth while ensuirng that you set warnings on when first loading the app (say as part of your splash screen. I'd want to check if there is, as Poots, suggests somewhere in your apps code (or at least the copy of the app that is reporting the fault) something that doesn't set warnings off, without a set warnings on immediately after that code completes.

it could be in VBA code, it could be in macro, if the latter its a beggar to track down as each macro will need to be looked at individually, whereas if its in code you can do a search in the vba window
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Bill, if they have had something else going on in their computer, such as having some other database open, always doing something other than just opening Access, opening the database, opening the form in design view, make a change, and close, then what ever that other thing is, is what is doing this to them. Highly recommend you walk over there a start from scratch on their computer and if how it is really working.

I am not silly, The user with the problem is a another developer. We lock databases that are used by our grunt users.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    ....without a set warnings on immediately after that code completes.
    ... and in an error trap!!!

OP - Worth just running the code in the immediate window - takes half a sec and then you can confirm (or otherwise) if this is your problem. If it is the problem then you need to track down the offending line(s) of code.

If it is not then we need to look for something else.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.