Unanswered: Global variables

Hi,

I am having difficulty populating a few global variables I have created, hopefully someone can help me.

I have created a couple of modules, which all require the same value so I created a global variable in the first of my modules to run under General Declarations:

Code:
    Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

Global gstrTableName1 As String, gstrTableName2 As String
    Within this module is a function where I set the value for the variables:

Code:
        gstrTableName1 = "Prior_Qualification_" & rsQuery![COURSE]
        gstrTableName2 = "Predicted_Attainment_" & rsQuery![COURSE]
    Part of the value is from a recordset I am using.

Within the function are various calls to the other modules to create tables and insert data, but whenever I specify the global variable in these modules I always get an empty string back.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 59
    what happens if you put a watch on those lines (click the grey bar to the left of then line, and you should see a purple dot)
    what value is in rsQuery![COURSE]
    where are you setting it

have you proved that you have got a valid value in rsQuery![COURSE]
    have you proved that you are not overwriting that value somewhere

...its one of the reasons why global values are NOT a good idea, unless you have to use them.. and I suspect you dont have to in your app.. you are 'just' choosing to. if you are setting theses values based on data from a db table then you can get those values as and when required and not use globals at all for this.

globals are a necessary evil in some, not all apps. but you can get round it by carefull use of classes and functions... if for no other reason if you restart code after a debug then you cannot rely on those values being valid. if you put them in a function or class,, you can check if the fucntion / classes vlaues are valid and if not recreate/refresh them as required)
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 10
    Just an idea - what happens if you change your variable declarations to:
    Code:
    Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

Public gstrTableName1 As String
    Public gstrTableName2 As String
    George
    Home | Blog

Managed to get it working now, forgot that I'd changed the name of the function so when calling it, it wasn't running.

Thanks for the tips and alternate solution, will keep that in mind for the future.